Taking a job with lower pay...

TiN

It's the weigh up between money and career progression...and I'm a bit torn, frankly.

Basically, I'm at a fairly small IT company at the moment, but the money isn't bad considering my previous experience and my actual workload. The company's clientelle/business is fairly secure, but also pretty mundane, so (with no direct disrespect) it's not as if I'm dealing with high-profile clients etc, and doing anything exciting.

Now, I've recently applied for a bigger company that generally offers a more exciting role (with travel) and bigger clients, and (based on the ad that I applied for) more money. However, despite feeling that the interview went well, I got the feedback that my experiences do not meet my salary "expectations" (I never specifically demanded any figure, but I did suggest that I'd be looking to at least match my current income). Fair enough, but he then went on to suggest that I join the more junior entry point (not an offer, but an indication that if I were to progress with the next stage, it would be my best offer).

I have no inferiority complex, and so won't have a problem with effectively starting from the bottom (I'm hardly at the top of my tree now), but the salary range of the junior role is going to be £4k-£7k less than what I'm on now. There is, however, the chance to get a raise and a "car allowance" of about £5k after 6 months, depending on my performance, so that's not so bad. Plus, it offers the challenges and training that I'm lacking now, and generally gives me a brighter view of the future.

With all that said - my wife recently got sacked (which I'm gonna be sure to get as much out of as possible, because it was all handled a bit dodgily), and is currently job hunting, so it might not be the best time for me to be going off and taking chances...or is it?

Help please. :scare:

Guest prescience

You seem to be saying it's "either or"; I would check for other job opportunities first to see if you can command the same or better income with improved prospects. If you can't, it sounds like you should go for the job with prospects and back yourself to be good enough to work your way up - one step back for two steps forward etc

Good luck :thumbs:

It sounds like:

- good pay, but within 5 years the same good pay and the same position?

- less pay, but chances of moving up and getting better pay and more interesting opportunities?

Depends on your financial situation at home ofcourse. How much it would impact your life to loose the extra money you earn now. If you can cope with it, go for it :)

sounds like they want to get your expertise, pay you less, and then they'll lump you with more responsibility.

NEVER believe to "chances of rises later on" without anything in writing, either.

I have a rule wrt moving jobs:

NEVER EVER EVER take a job whose salary is lower than your current one.

if they want you, they'll at least match your current salary

You seem to be saying it's "either or"; I would check for other job opportunities first to see if you can command the same or better income with improved prospects.

Yeah, I know what you're saying - it almost seems defeatest in some respects, but if I'm realistic, it could be a great (and rare) opportunity in this area (South West).

I think that I've just been spoilt with my current job - in some respect, I reckon that I got favourtism because I did a temping stint for them a few years ago (and I've got the natural charisma to get along with everyone ;)).

Oh well, still waiting to see if I've got a second interview first, then I'll start dreaming again. :p

Thanks. :)

I hate giving advice but........

FWIW, have a look at as many other job ads as you can find and try to benchmark your skills objectively, also speak to a few recruitment agents and ask them what they think your skills will attract but take their advice with a pinch of salt because they will tell you "oh I can find you a job for £xxxxxxK" to get you on the books but it will give you an indication of the marketability of your skills.

Remember that if they say "you would be considered for a car allowance" there is no commiment on their part to offer you one. Try to get in writing that you will get a review after 6 months and if you meet specific measureable criteria you will get the allowance, and this cant be something vague like "you meet expected performance" it needs to be black and white like "you sucessfully migrate our datacentre to virtual machines within 6 months" or "you deliver 8 customer SSL VPN's by Christmas" or whatever it is you do otherwise there is too much wiggle room.

I have to say I did it (changed industry and started at the bottom rung) I wouldnt do it now, just because I am older, but if I went back I would do the same thing again. If I were comfortable in my current role (as you sound like you are) I'd use the "slack" to train myself into skills in very high demand and then make the step and by that time the missus may have also found other work too.

To quote James Dyson, a mildly sucessful millionaire, "You can teach yourself anything in 6 months".

mugwump - some great points there, thanks! Certainly a few things to be thrown into the mix if I manage to get an offer.

I think that throwing myself forward as a candidate won't have any detrimental effects at this stage, but it's good (and yet frustrating) to get a good gathering of opinions and experiences. :)

sounds like they want to get your expertise, pay you less, and then they'll lump you with more responsibility.

NEVER believe to "chances of rises later on" without anything in writing, either.

Im with you on that +1 :dry:

Im with you on that +1 :dry:

I totally agree with the above. I would never take less money on the 'offchance' that it might lead to bigger things. If they are willing to give you something more in 6 months time after you have shown a good performance then you need to know exactly what criteria you need to have met in that 6 months and have a payrise/car allowance nailed on if you achieve it. Otherwise I would stay put until something else comes along.

The question is, why do you want to leave your current job?

I don't feel that I'm "overpaid" as such (that would be silly ;)), but that I can be oh-so-much-better-value-for-money, but there is currently no provision for me to fulfill that. Also, there's two other guys here in the same role, except they're at least 3 years my senior (in terms of their time in the role), so I can actually "see myself" in several years' time! (And it's not as bright as I would like). Sure, on paper it'd look impressive, and I'm sure that I'll be able to use it to get a fairly well-paid (and similarly mundane) job in the future - but I want to build a network and generally be a much more dynamic environment.

In a way, I've answered my own query, but if I wasn't this weak, I wouldn't be asking!

Thanks for the opinions so far guys - keep 'em coming!