Clutch Switch

Tom S

I'm having an issue with my MY06 where it intermittently won't fire up straight away. The battery engages fine and then after much clutch depressing the car will fire up as normal. From my research it looks like the clutch sensor switch is to blame, on the guides I've seen it looks easy to adjust/replace but on my car there's this silver box in the way (cruise control unit?) which makes access really difficult. Has any one had this issue on a MY06 and been able to fix it themselves and is there a uk supplier for the switch? Is it possible to remove the silver box without causing more issues?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

They are just a pain to get at - upside down in the foot well is never fun.

To prove the switch is the problem remove the plug from the back of the switch (easier said than done)

With a spare piece of wire short the connectors in the plug - the Car should now start without pressing the clutch - first time every time - if it does the switch is iffy.

Make sure its out of gear!!!!

:pmzmanalex: he probably has both new and used in stock :thumbs:

• Like 1

Has the owner by chance ever done the mod to lower the clutch pedal a little? (check in the guides section on here to find it) If this is done a little too far it can interfere with the start switch I believe...

Keysers advise is spot on as always however, just now good to be upside down in your foot well for too long, I usually get some funny looks from my neighbours when they see my legs sticking up on the seat :D

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunatley I fitted the part today and it's still doing the same thing, I don't think the issue is with how I fitted it as I tried operating it before I screwed it in and nothing happened. Do you guys know of anything else that can cause the problem? It just seems really weird as the battery engages fine and when the engine does fire it fires first time, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it will fire it just seems to be taking longer and longer to do so.

I've not tried bypassing the circuit, I'll give it a go tomorrow but I doubt that was the issue as the same thing happens with the replacement switch. I connected the original switch to a multimeter and it appeared to be working but I'd already ordered the replacement at that point. When I turn the key it's exactly like what would happen when you start the car without depressing the clutch, the electrics all switch on and that's it. The starter motor isn't turning over until the engine eventually fires and once the starter engages there's no problem. I wondered if it was the immobiliser but the NATS light turns off when the key is in the on position. Everything suggests it's the clutch switch but I just can't get that to work so I'm completely stumped.

If I'm understanding you correctly you turn the car on and all the lights come on

you turn the key and nothing happens -

Try a few more times and the starter kicks in and the car starts.

so it sounds like the starter is not kicking in so the next 2 places to look are

1. The starter motor relay - in with the battery could be sticking

2. the starter solenoid - on top of the starter - could be sticking

If it was me I would dive under the car with a multi meter (or a 12v bulb) and pull the small wire off the starter motor (there are only 2 wires to it battery feed and solenoid feed)

Stick the meter/bulb into the wire and ground the other side, get someone to turn the key to the start position several times, if the meter shows 12v (or the bulb comes on) every time then the solenoid is sticking or U/S if it is an intermittent feed then it's the relay.

If you want to test the starter motor best to take it out of the car ,

Run a 12v feed from a battery to the starter motor big cable earth the starter motor to the same battery run a extension from the small wire on the solenoid to the same battery when you touch this wire to the live terminal the bendix should kick out and the starter motor spin - make sure the starter is secure in a vice or similar they kick a bit when fired off the car!!!

Hope that helps :)

EDIT : I'm assuming you changed the clutch switch for a known working one so that is ruled out.

Edited by Keyser

• 2 years later...

I'm having the same problem. Car won't start and is as if i haven't pressed the clutch pedal. I have tried shorting the clutch switch but still nothing. Doesn't matter how many times i try the car will not start. I turn the key and everything works that is powered by the battery. And i know it's not the batt as ive had it checked. Anything else that might make the car act like the clutch isn't being pressed such as the key/immobiliser or something? ?

• 1 year later...