Low end stereos - does it matter which one?

tmJak

If you're not an audiophile does it really matter which stereo you get?

I'm looking at something like the Alpine CDE-W233R or the Pioneer FH-X700BT.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_869197_langId_-1_categoryId_265857

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_916749_langId_-1_categoryId_265857

They're both basic MP3/CD/tuner things that should fit into the Zed with the right gubbings. I'm planning to use the Bose amp and speakers and just change out my knackered Bose headunit. Will be listening to MP3's a vast majority of the time. Am I right in thinking that at the bottom end of the market (£120 - £130) it doesn't make much difference which headunit I choose as they're all about as basic as each other?

Thanks in advance.

I've got the Alpine HU you mention (and link to) above. I've got the BT version though http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_868945_langId_-1_categoryId_265857

(I paid a lot less for it from Halfords). Think it was about £170. I'm shocked at the current price they've got it listed at. They (Halfords) normally have a deal on there ICE so might be worth waiting.

Regarding the stereo, I'm more than happy with it. You'll need the additional harness for the steering wheel controls and to wire it in, just do Buster's mod: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/58947-reduced-sound-out-put-after-replacing-oe-bose/

It sounds perfectly fine to me and still retains the BOSE speakers and sub.

I personally wouldn't give it to rookies like Halfords to fit.

You have to remove the centre console covering the gear stick to the dash pods.

Post up your location and see if others can recommend someone who knows how to get the console off.

That's what I did.

Even then I printed off the forum diy guide in case the fitter had "forgotten":lol:

My fears were unfounded as he seemed like he could do it with his eyes closed.

From looking at the guides I think I should be ok to fit it myself - just have to buy all the parts as recommended. The console is easy to remove - only takes 10 minutes. It's just the splicing of wires that's a bit more daunting but with lots of flash cards I'm sure I can fathom it. If not then I'll go to an expert with my tail between my legs - but I'm already more than accustomed to looking like an idiot.

The Halfords website is more expensive than in-store. The same Alpine stereo is online for £260 or in store for £130!

From looking at the guides I think I should be ok to fit it myself - just have to buy all the parts as recommended. The console is easy to remove - only takes 10 minutes. It's just the splicing of wires that's a bit more daunting but with lots of flash cards I'm sure I can fathom it. If not then I'll go to an expert with my tail between my legs - but I'm already more than accustomed to looking like an idiot.

The Halfords website is more expensive than in-store. The same Alpine stereo is online for £260 or in store for £130!

If your anywhere near me, im usually free weekends i can come round and give you a hand. Make sure you get all the accessories for your car aswell, i.e. the headunit surrounds, any additional cables you may need to by-pass the amp if you have bose, steering controls etc.

If your anywhere near me, im usually free weekends i can come round and give you a hand. Make sure you get all the accessories for your car aswell, i.e. the headunit surrounds, any additional cables you may need to by-pass the amp if you have bose, steering controls etc.

I'm in Cheshire so quite a way from you but thanks for the offer. I'll probably get as far as I can, take a picture, put it on the forum, get flamed for messing it up, get some advice and then finish it off nicely. Usually does the treat ;)

If i was to get one of these types of units fitted, would a professional car audio place know what they are doing with the Zeds? as much as I would like to do something like this myself, I'm just not confident enough.

I might give it a go next month so will let you know how I get on. If I can do it then anyone can.

• 3 weeks later...