manual v auto

rob d

hey people,

I am about to upgrade from a 50 to a 70. I have found a reasonable deal but want to be sure. The one I have in mind is an Auto.

Is this a flappy paddle auto or a 'hands off ' type ?

Is the auto any good ? What things should I go looking for / check when I see it ?

IS the difference from a 06 face lift - with abbey sport sprinkles - pipe and remap - to a 370 going to make the grin wider or about the same ??

I know I want it but I am attempting to reason my way forward instead of selling everything I own and running to the toy shop :-)

Auto will have the flappy paddle there too if you need it.

Lots of threads on here about manual vs auto so those should help. I had an auto for 2 weeks as a courtesy car, personally i really did not like it. With 7 gears it kept changing at what i felt was the wrong time and there was still a significant delay using the paddles. Manual was far more engaging and i bought one a year later.

There are others who prefer the auto though so it's horses for courses.

The 370z is an evolution not a revolution. It was a big step up from my 05 276bhp but others with the later 350zs have said there isnt that much differencewith the drive. It is less raw but more sophisticated and definitely has more technological assistance. I love the syncro rev though, down changing for corners is so much fun. I know where id want to be.

I suggest taking it for a long test drive and take a manual out too and try the synco rev on both.

A word of warning the exhaust note on a 370z is a massive dissappointment after the 350z, that and the auto box nearly put me off the 370z. But get a decent exhaust one and it will sing

Edited by Will370z

You could of course just go for the auto, revel in the smugness that comes with knowing you wont be a possible victim to the manual gearbox problems. Do a search... ;)

And they say that the auto "detracts from the driving experience", so does waiting for a new 'box :stir:

Im not sure where this ropey manual gearbox is coming from, never heard of that. Steerling lock issue is for all 370zs and is a technical fault on the car, uk recall is starting this week - see the main 370z technical forum

See the 370Z warranty forum...I know you've read it :p

Im not sure where this ropey manual gearbox is coming from, never heard of that. Steerling lock issue is for all 370zs and is a technical fault on the car, uk recall is starting this week - see the main 370z technical forum

See the 370Z warranty forum...I know you've read it :p

still no idea what you're talking about - I've heard of one gearbox failure - was it yours ? - put a link up to a warranty failure ?

or do you mean this one http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/62179-car-gone-in-for-a-new-gearbox/

Edited by ioneabee

There are a handful of reported problems, including my own box being changed at the end of the warranty - more as a precaution really due to an "uncharacteristic noise" that the garage and I could hear. Posted in here.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/60268-notchy-gearbox-and-clutch-issues/page__st__20

And see this section generally for more info that contains reported warranty problems with the boxes:

http://www.350z-uk.c...arranty-issues/

but then we also saw a proportionate number of issues with the 350 box particularly surrounding the synchros.

As we know, the box is less refined than say those in Porsches and the like and is even classed as "agricultural" in comparison, which I personally find adds to the drive and with the synchro-rev match it is a pure delight to use and is a revelation coming from 350 ownership. Both 350 and 370 boxes have been proven to cope with a lot of power and abuse without falling apart.

So, from what I have seen and heard the failings are not a big issue IMHO, unlike the steering lock where there has clearly been a build fault to affect so many 370's around the world.