can i tax car with temporary insurance?

jumping350

Im adding my other car to my policy for last 2 months of current insurance they will only let me do it in 2 4week blocks then can add properly at renewal time, Il get an insurance certificate will i be able to tax at end of month? Also got m.o.t till Dec

any insurance gurus know any info?

Edited by jumping350

Great thanks, reason i ask is because last year my insurance ran out same time as tax did i went in on 27th to tax and they said wouldn't do it as car insurance is due to expire in Cpl days , might of got an 'A' hole post office man then

No, the Post Office man did the correct thing. Your insurance must cover the date you want your tax to run from (same with the MOT). If your insurance for example expired on the 30th March then you won't be able to tax it to start on 1st April.

Pete

Great thanks, reason i ask is because last year my insurance ran out same time as tax did i went in on 27th to tax and they said wouldn't do it as car insurance is due to expire in Cpl days , might of got an 'A' hole post office man then

No, the Post Office man did the correct thing. Your insurance must cover the date you want your tax to run from (same with the MOT). If your insurance for example expired on the 30th March then you won't be able to tax it to start on 1st April.

Pete

+ 1, my dad is a sub-postmaster and it has to be that way.

If my insurance is due to start today for a month will they let me tax it then? Few places on internet said they have got tax on one day insurance,what if i wanted to sell the car and put tax on it to help sale?

You should be able to tax it at a Post Office tomorrow.

Pete

Why not use the online service no queuing up no use of you time to get there and back and no getting wound up at the person behind the counter if you do not have the correct documents/details with you

as long as your insurance is on the MID data base as it should be there should be no problems

If it isn't you need to get on to your company and find out why thet hav'nt done it after all believe that is where the police check to see insurance and various other details on cars that are on the road