New parts fitted!

Mathys

As some of you might have read before, I went on a holiday to Isla Margarita and dropped my car off to get some parts installed.

The parts installed:

-Nismo exhaust

-Kinetix HFC's

-Strup headers

-UR pulley set

-Stoptech stage 2 aerorotors for the standard brembo's with ss brakelines, RBF600 and Endless SSS brakepads

(-NRG hood dampers)

I brought my car to a friend who also has a Z with quite some engine/exhuast parts replaced by a local mechanic. As he knows the mechanic really well, I managed to get a superb price to get it all installed.

I paid 360 pound for the installation of al parts listed above, including a whole check of the car and fixing the windscreenfluid reservoir connection. Also he put in some fuel worth 30 pound, all in that price. He spend some 20 hours on the installation. Especially the headers were a pita as one side came extremely close to the steering column. So he had to take one side off again and heat it. So he could make a small dent in one pipe and fitment would be perfect.

So needless to say I gave the guy a tip. I mean, charging only +- 16.5 pound per hour is amazing. Also this guy does maintance on ferrari's, porsches and a SLR (from father of his wife). So he definitely knows what he's doing.

Regarding my Z after the install:

The brakepad feeling is nicer, most likely due to the ss brakelines. I still have to bed in my pads as I didn't have time yet. So they're not up to 100% strenght yet. Still they're performing already a lot better than the old setup.

The sound from the car is extremely different then before :p. It's really deep and pretty loud in lower rpm. In higher rpm it's absolutely amazing. I don't regret the installation of the HFC's at all. Mind you that I also have a Typhoon intake and soon will install my motordyne spacer as well. Just waiting for my plenum to be polished.

Performance wise, the car goes through the rpm a lot smoother and also relatively quicker. I will get a decent tune sometime soon to get the full hp out of the parts. I know it won't be a huge difference compared to stock, but FI is no option for me.

So now I'm looking into getting a good suspension upgrade. The tokico's have my attention as well as the Tein flex + edfc.

Also I will get a new clutch + lighter flywheel combo, so it will be installed when the old clutch starts to wear out.

I'm still in doubt whether I'll get a 3.9 FD. There are a lot of good reports on this. Although it will give you a 10% higher rpm at any given speed, thus less mpg. Also 1st gear is already quite short and it will even get shorter.

As most of us, I didn't plan on modding my Z at all. I was only thinking to get a nice set of summer wheels when I bought my car. However, as soon as I got the Typhoon and a grounding kit, the modding virus got into my system....

I'll keep you guys updated regarding completion of my wishlist ;) :

-Tune (unichip/utec/???)

-Suspension

-Clutch + lighter flywehel

-3.9 FD ?

-Complete soundsytem

-Doors trimmed with leather

(CF central dashboard - ordered long time ago, still awaiting delivery)

I'll make some pics tomorrow. Although it's such a pita to keep my black car clean right now with all the small particles in the air....

The pulleys seem to shorten the delay you have between hitting the throttle and the revs building up. It goes much more smooth than before. However, it's a bit difficult to see which part improved what. As I got multiple parts installed. The weight difference on the UR pulleys and the normal ones is impressive. The box with ur pulleys weights almost nothing, with the normal ones the box can just be carried with one hand!

Actually the mechanic made some pictures while installing some of the parts, here they are for those being interested. Tomorrow I'll make some of the pulleys/hood dampers:

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00259.jpg

DSC00260.jpg

Thats cool then, i was just wondering as the high flow cats i had on my old car, had the O2 sensor opening too and they were fitted, but there was more CO2 being sent back due to the high flow and the engine light came on. I needed a MIL eliminator fitted to remove this problem.

BTW - looks B)

well... that is if you manage to get the OEM ones off in the first place... without having to take the radiator off in order to have enough space to use an air ratchet on it.

Nothing would budge mine... long breaker bars, no effect, 2 people hanging off the bar, nothing. the thing would just not shift. Ended up selling them on (and made £5 profit since I had bought them well cheap :lol: )

at the time we tried it all, then when i got my hi-flow cats fitted by Joe's (AMV8) trusted mechanic did give it a go, but no luck. Only way to take it off would have been rad off (so drain coolant etc... PITA) air impact gun and it would have come off.

it would have then become stupid from a cost point of view since the gains are minimal to say the least.

Goodyear Eagle F1's. Very impressive traction, both in the dry and wet. Especially good traction in the wet was very important for me when buying tyres. Although with this weather it's not needed :D

Regarding the pulleys: It really depends on your Z. Some will have no problems taking the main pulley off, while others think the pulley is welded down :wacko:. The 2 smaller pulleys should never be a problem to remove.

My mechanic removed the fan of the radiator, not the whole radiator. This seems to give enough clearance. Although it does require to drain all the radiator fluid.

yeah I tried to record the sound of my nismo/kinetix cats and plenum last week but it turned out so badly I just binned it.. needs a better recording solution than my tiny camera (phone was even more useless!)