Sensible challenge....

Digsy

OK, my best mate knows sod all about cars and wants me to help him replace his Freelander with two new motors. The criteria is a bit tight:-

1. £15,000 total spend across the two cars

2. Both must be less than 1 year old

3. He has a 2 year old and a new born so both must have five doors

4. One must be big enough to carry all children and paraphenalia and refined enough to drive across Europe on holidays

5. He's a bit of a snob so as unfair as it may be no Skodas etc.

No need to make the jokes about selling the kids and buying a Zed coz I've done them already. :p

Anyone have any thoughts?

A snob and he wants to spend £15k on two cars?! :scare:

Tell him to get over it, Skoda are very good these days and you get a hell of a lot for your money. Certainly will do better than many other makes. Remember its an Audi in discuise! My SEAT was spot on for the price, and similar Audi would have been £20-25k versus the £13 I paid. I'd certainly have a Skoda over something French (Pug/Renault/etc).

A snob and he wants to spend £15k on two cars?! :scare:

Tell him to get over it, Skoda are very good these days and you get a hell of a lot for your money. Certainly will do better than many other makes. Remember its an Audi in discuise! My SEAT was spot on for the price, and similar Audi would have been £20-25k versus the £13 I paid. I'd certainly have a Skoda over something French (Pug/Renault/etc).

You don't need to tell me, mate. I convinced another pal to go with an Octavia VRS as his company car a few years back and he had a real problem with the badge. That was until he drove it and realised what a bargain he'd got. :)

Just makes me laugh when people want prestige marques for the price Skoda :headhurt::surrender:

I was looking at the Octavia vRS when I went for my Leon. As the model was on the way out for the new shape they were selling the FR at a very reasonable price so I couldnt miss the chance.

Hmmmmm prestige badge car under 12 months old for £7.5k... time to give up Digsy.. :teeth:

he'll have to lower his expectations age wise or badge wise

Whoa, hold on a sec! He's an ignorant snob but in reality I think that only rules out Skoda and possibly some of the Korean marques. I never mentioned that we needed a prestige badge - I've already told him its a no go!

I'm thinking 9-grandish on a Mondeo/Vectra or similar and the rest on a five door supermini (or bigger if we can stretch to it). The other option would be two Astra-sized cars but unless one was an estate I can't see it being a goer for a cross-europe trip. I was going to shy away from French/Italian cars for quality reasons - or am I just falling foul of out of date prejudices?

Hmmmmm prestige badge car under 12 months old for £7.5k... time to give up Digsy.. :teeth:

he'll have to lower his expectations age wise or badge wise

Whoa, hold on a sec! He's an ignorant snob but in reality I think that only rules out Skoda and possibly some of the Korean marques. I never mentioned that we needed a prestige badge - I've already told him its a no go!

I'm thinking 9-grandish on a Mondeo/Vectra or similar and the rest on a five door supermini (or bigger if we can stretch to it). The other option would be two Astra-sized cars but unless one was an estate I can't see it being a goer for a cross-europe trip. I was going to shy away from French/Italian cars for quality reasons - or am I just falling foul of out of date prejudices?

Ahhh that will open up the choices then.. plenty of good spec 2006 :thumbs: Mondeo's at the car supermarkets

Basic Volvo V50 and a five door Fiesta with the balance. :)

That's one I hadn't thought of. Looks a bit small to me. Isn't it based on a Focus? Worth a look though if its in budget and snobby-arse will be happy with the Vulva badge. :thumbs:

That's one I hadn't thought of. Looks a bit small to me. Isn't it based on a Focus? Worth a look though if its in budget and snobby-arse will be happy with the Vulva badge. :thumbs:

Put any pre conceptions on the shelf mate and go look at the pair of 'em. Also read Top Gear's lifer report on them both. :thumbs:

You're right, it is based on the Focus, which helps the dynamics that Volvo were sorely lacking. The new Focus is much bigger than the old one so you may be surprised. My 2p. :) Struggle thinking of something only 1 year old at that price....

Put any pre conceptions on the shelf mate and go look at the pair of 'em. Also read Top Gear's lifer report on them both. :thumbs:

You're right, it is based on the Focus, which helps the dynamics that Volvo were sorely lacking. The new Focus is much bigger than the old one so you may be surprised. My 2p. :) Struggle thinking of something only 1 year old at that price....

All help much appreciated, mate. Will definitely have a butcher's. :)

What about a VW Passat and maybe a Honda Jazz??? You get a bit of badge snobbery with the VeeDub and the Jazz has been top of the JD Power survey since it was launched!

TBH, I think you'll be lucky to get a second car under a year old with a budget of £15k if you go for a Volvo as the primary car!

As an alternative to the Jazz, I would definately recommend a NOTE as a second car as it seems to meet all the criteria, and on top of that they are bloody good to drive too! However, they do seem to be commanding quite good prices on the second hand market at the moment.

I've just looked at the retained values for the V50 and its not looking good. I need cars who's residuals drop faster than Jodi Marsh's knickers......

There's an 04 on Autotrader for £10k (at Cargiant). :)

£15,000 isn't a lot for two cars, BUT I'd def recommend the Citroen C3 (C2 poss) VTS for fun and maybe a Skoda estate for the sensible one, both are excellent cars for the money ;)

Interesting about the Citroen as I'd pretty much ruled out French cars. Saying that Whizzgo our local car club run these things so they must be a bit better made than they were before. Citroen's can be picked up pretty cheap - could probably get a C5 to match.....

Don't bother with a C2 , They look pretty good, but their alittle cramped and the build quality is to be desired. Note and Jazz are much better buys.

I was thinking of the Swift too. Anyone had any experience of one?

Don't bother with a C2 , They look pretty good, but their alittle cramped and the build quality is to be desired. Note and Jazz are much better buys.

I was thinking of the Swift too. Anyone had any experience of one?

I'm pretty sure Top Gear gave them a rave review. Excellent for playing football and ice hockey :thumbs:

A little cramped? Might aswell only have 2 seats :)

Is he bothered by having a diesel? if not how about a golf/leon/A4 etc?

A little cramped? Might aswell only have 2 seats :)

Is he bothered by having a diesel? if not how about a golf/leon/A4 etc?

Diesel shouldn't be a problem but I can't see me finding a Golf/A4 under a year old in budget. A Leon perhaps......