engine managment light and cut out :(

dazzer-b

hi all,

on the motorway today i was cruising in 4th, went to put my foot down and my car felt like it was holding back power or almost forgot to do anything, i instantly took my foot off and put it back down again and it was fine, then i noticed it only had about 90% power,

i pulled up turned the engine off, then turned it on again to make sure it started ok, it took a little longer than normal for it to tick over and then it started and the engine light came on and also the traction light and also the traction control off light (car skidding with a line through it). i turned it off.

came back to my car an hour later, it started straight away, engine light came on but not the other 2, i drove about 4 miles and then it cut out, i turned the engine back on and all 3 lights came on this time. ive managed to get it to the garage who will hopefully be able to code read it tomorrow if they have time.

Any ideas?

couldnt tell if i had any power loss once i got back in it as i didnt want to drive fast enough to find out.

I experienced something similar to this a week or so ago. Went to start the car early one morning and noticed that it struggled ever so slightly to turn over, when it did, the air con was on, rev counter wasn't working and the TCS and slip light were both illuminated. I immediately turned it off, re-activated and then de-activated the alarm/immobiliser and it was fine. Very strange??

it seems like alot of people have had the 2 traction control lights on and it just been a sensor, but nobody has said that there car has cut out because of it.

in 5 years though this is the only problem i have ever had so not to bad really, well unless it cost thousands. then it will be horrible lol

hey dazzer.

I had the same lights about a month ago or so. did the pedal dance and the code came back as 2135 throttle position sensor.

was accelerating in 2nd when the same lights as your describing came on and car went into limp mode. got her home in the end. got the code and then reset the eml light since she seemed ok.

been fine ever since including a long run to Cornwall and back.

Would be good to know what the error code is.

Edited by wizurd

Here is a quick way to reset your ECU. It is also known to clear codes thrown, and turn off the "Service Engine Soon" Light. It's a little tricky, but works.

Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON†and wait 3 seconds.

Repeat the following two procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds:

Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).

Fully release the accelerator pedal.

Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.

Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

Wait about 10 seconds.

Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.

Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).

Turn ignition switch to “OFF†position and now you can startere is a quick way to reset your ECU. It is also known to clear codes thrown, and turn off the "Service Engine Soon" Light. It's a little tricky, but works.

Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON†and wait 3 seconds.

Repeat the following two procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds:

Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).

Fully release the accelerator pedal.

Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.

Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

Wait about 10 seconds.

Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.

Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).

Turn ignition switch to “OFF†position and now you can start the car.

The CEL light should be gone.

the car.

The CEL light should be gone.

Fault code comes up with camshaft position sensor. Hopefully the sensor is just faulty but because I have a slight problem that my mechanic thinks is a cam chain tensioner (makes a tappety noise for a few seconds when starting from cold) he hopes the chain hasnt stretched and is causing the sensor fault. Going back down the garage with it tomorrow. Im hoping its not the cam chain as ive heard you dont get any change from a £1000.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has all the symptoms of mine cept the cutout is momentary, like a second, and car runs fine... All the research on the forum pointed to camshaft position sensor and that's what code came up, its on order, cheers Ewen, hopefully solve the issue...

Brendale, have the code read to confirm but probs just this... Cheers...