Getting sound right in aftermarket setups

Stutopia

Having been a lot disappointed with the Bose head unit, amp, sub and speakers I decided to get an upgrade. I'm not skilled enough to do this myself, so I had a pro install:

Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit

Hertz HDP5 5-channel amp

Hertz HSK 165 Components (front)

Hertz HCX 165 (rear)

Clarion 10" sub

The speakers have been mounted on mdf and the doors and sub enclosure dynamatted.

The install looks solid all round, everything works as it should including the filters, equalizers, crossover, etc and it's properly loud. However, I'm not totally over the moon about the sound, it is good but I was hoping for a little bit more for the price tag. I'm not after massive bass or super loud volumes, just a flat, balanced, great all round frequency response.

My issue is that I'm struggling to get a great midrange, I've reined in the bass and treble as it was a touch boomy at the bottom and bright at the top, but I can't get the middle to really sing. I was wondering if anyone else had come across similar? Maybe it's just the cavernous Zed interior space with no natural baffles, or the shape of the cockpit, or the speakers being quite low down in the doors, but it's just not quite spot on. Any ideas/suggestions at all?

I am concious that I've not given it much time to bed in yet, I'll keep my ears open over the next week or so as it might just be impatience on my behalf, but with all the knowledge on here I thought I'd ask.

Have you replaced the speaker covers on the front? They are around 60% filled in when you look at them ;)

I have some spares I need to get the dremel onto and then cover nicely I think that will make a difference....

Nice choice of speakers I have Hertz running on a JL amp and been nothing but impressed but it's a very personal thing...

Do you have the front/rear 50/50 I find as the rears are so close 70/30 works much better

I have a totally neutral setup now as it has only just gone in, wanted to give it a week before I tinkered and really listen to it (low revs and good economy for a while!). I'll try shifting it forward, as suggested, which may help as I initially pushed the sound back as I had hoped full range co-axes in the rear would fill up the sound.

The covers do look suspiciously filled in (front & back?), I wanted an OEMish look but I won't have that stand in the way of great sound. Dremmel could be a great way to "open" the sound up.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Edited by SuperStu

Spent a couple of hours sitting, listening and adjusting the myriad equalizer, woofer, crossover and sonic centre settings on the head unit, then repeating. Now very much improved.

The shift of the fade forward made a big difference, which wouldn't have occured to me, I was thinking of gong rearward, cheers SMD. I'll still look at the grille mods to eek out some more sound clarity, I'd not really looked at how closed the door speaker grilles are until you mentioned it, seems crazy in a car which boasts of it's Bose set up.

Good to see another Spurs Fan on here. COYS!

Spent a couple of hours sitting, listening and adjusting the myriad equalizer, woofer, crossover and sonic centre settings on the head unit, then repeating. Now very much improved.

The shift of the fade forward made a big difference, which wouldn't have occured to me, I was thinking of gong rearward, cheers SMD. I'll still look at the grille mods to eek out some more sound clarity, I'd not really looked at how closed the door speaker grilles are until you mentioned it, seems crazy in a car which boasts of it's Bose set up.

Mind me asking where did you install you car audio and how much was the job?

I used a company called Green's Car Radio in Blackpool, not a huge selection of providers up here and these guys seemed very knowledgable when I went in to enquire, also it's close enough for me to drop the car off and taxi to work. It was about £1500 in total which included an outrageous £40 for a powered iPhone 30-pin terminated cable. Oh, they also retained the steering wheel controls, dynamatted the doors/sub enclosure and fashioned some mdf mounting brackets to isolate the drivers. Car was in for two days.

I used a company called Green's Car Radio in Blackpool, not a huge selection of providers up here and these guys seemed very knowledgable when I went in to enquire, also it's close enough for me to drop the car off and taxi to work. It was about £1500 in total which included an outrageous £40 for a powered iPhone 30-pin terminated cable. Oh, they also retained the steering wheel controls, dynamatted the doors/sub enclosure and fashioned some mdf mounting brackets to isolate the drivers. Car was in for two days.

£1500 including all speakers amp ans sub? Wow...that's a really good deal!

Cheers mate, yeah amazing what a little fade can do huh :cloud9:

I got the speaker cover idea from that thread too and I have some spare door cards just not got round to it...

Glad you got it and are now enjoying the set up I know I absolutely love mine

I have a ticket to tomorrows game in a corporate box all expenses paid so COYS!

Right then, off to buy a dremel, how hard can this speaker mod be? At first I was thinking of black fabric/cloth but all this talk of super spurs has got me thinking lily white.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-White-Speaker-Grill-Fabric-Cloth-1-Metre-x-500mm-Refurbish-Cabinets-/290687766007

Think the black from the grill bits left behind will show through? Maybe some white rattle can will take care of that if needed.

This would be the first actual work I've personally done on the zed, except gear knob and gaiter, so I'll see what the results are like on the less exposed fronts before I get too carried away in the rear.

If I make a right monkey's breakfast of it then I believe I should be able to pick up some new font grills and try again. Ordered the cloth and some drawstring, but probably won't get the job done til next weekend as its in for some respray and paint repair during the week.

I'll stick up some photos, if I'm not too embarrased by my "skills".