My Local Nissan Dealer - Brilliant at knowing nothing!

MidnightRacer

How not to buy an oil filter from my local nissan dealer......

Before I start, for you viewing pleasure, Nissan Kings Lynn are selling an oil filter and sealing ring on ebay for £5.73 plus a few quid postage. Excellent price for those bits and easy to buy....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NISSAN-OIL-FILTER-FOR-PETROL-ENGINE-ALMERA-PRIMERA-350Z-X-TRAIL-QASHQAI-/221104236094?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item337ad6e63e

...........But instead the part of me that says hey I might aswell pop into my local dealer and pick one up rather than send my money down the country, I know its going to be more expensive but I dont mind....

So I walk into the dealers and ask for an oil filter and sump plug washer for a 350z.

Dealer: certainly sir can I have your reg number

so I provide my reg number knowing exactly how this is going to pan out.

Dealer: Sorry I cant find your car (followed by an uncomfortable silence)

so I tell him its an import which is probably why it isnt on his sytem (cue another uncomfortable silence)

bit of typing in his sytem and he still cant find it so I suggest he just looks on ebay as the part number is on the auction I listed above. He does this and eventually turns up the auction.

much typing into his system ensues and this goes on for 5 minutes or so and he still cant find the part. He mutters something about maybe not having it in stock. It is then suggested that even if he finds it it might not fit an import so I correct him and tell him its the same filter they use on several different models (Had I had my mobile on me at the time I could of just found the number myself)

I then asked if they dont bother using FAST anymore to which I was told yes they do but they use another system for service parts because its easier! OBVIOUSLY NOT!

now at this point I start to get a bit annoyed but manage to keep my cool.... I tell him not to bother looking anymore and leave.

I should mention that the guy wasnt rude but really couldnt help me at all.....

I Happen work in a motorcycle dealership and even though I'm not the parts guy I can get you an oil filter for absolutely any model we sell, I can tell you where it is and I can also get the correct sump plug washer you need without using the system. And lets just say I need to check, I can do so without a reg number.....

even if they arent bothered about my business It is unbeleiveable that a main dealer cannot even give me an oil filter and sump plug washer for my car....... its not exactly tempting me to take either of my nissans their in future!

Amazing.

Surely the guy should know that its basically the same oil filter as the nissan micra & nissan navara etc... all use!

In my experience Parts Managers seem to be one extreme or another. Sometimes they know exactly what you want and where to find it, other times they have no idea what day of the week it is!