Potenza Variants

Bergwerk06

OK- I've trawled the tyre websites and looked at Bridgestone too. Search on the forum search button = blank

Can anyone tell me why RE050 tyres for my Z vary in cost so much (£150 to £250) for what appears to be the same tyre spec on the same website (Black Circles, MyTyres etc,)- and also what is the difference between the R50 and R50A.

It's confusing me so much I'm thinking 'just go for the Toyo R888s' :scare:

No you did not look hard enough. My first search got this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE050A

For worth it's worth the RE050 was te upgraded OEM tyre on the 350z from the RE040. So go with it.

However the thing with tyres is there is a big variation between subjective and objective performance and so it's hit and miss but you can't go wrong with either 050s, or MPS 2/SS. I'm sure the ultra high performance spec tyre for the other big brands like Pirelli p zero,contisport or yoko advan will be worth their salt too but going to a semi slick tyre like R888 is fraught with risks as a DD.

- poor wet weather grip

- poor longevity

- poor temperature range especially on heavy car like the zed

- price

To list a few.

Edited by GT4 Zed

:teeth:

I just kinda assumed that he was after a tyre just for track, as this is in the Motorsport section. R888s are fine for a DD as long as you're smooth, if you're the kind of person who kangaroos out of every junction kicking the TCS in then I agree, they're probably not the best choice. I loved mine on the Zed, wish I'd got some for the MX-5 now too. :(

From he post and angle sounds like he is liking for a DD tyre. I maybe wrong.

What kind of mileage did you get out of the R888s Dan? I know if I got them I'll just end up pushing even more and they will not last but nice to know from one nutter to another :)

Edited by GT4 Zed

OK- here we go- Yes I want track tyres and the R888 are in the mix but I will be driving the Z to and from the circuit and I assume the wear on the R888 as a softer compound will be wasted on the 'commute'. It won't be solely trackday, if I had a trailer then the Toyos would be a no-brainer.

Price differences- MyTyres Potenza RE 050 A 245/45 R18 96 W £208.60 then Potenza RE 050 A 245/45 R18 96 W £170.80 (not the 100W or the Asymmetric or runflat). Same size same load rating same speed rating same pattern so why the difference on the same site. The same happens on all other websites for tyres and I don't see any explanation.

I have RE040s on at the moment front has 5mm rear are dead- so I'm looking at a compromise for the rear for Oulton Park in March. I don't want to put R888s all round until all 4 of the existing are dead.

No you did not look hard enough. My first search got this:

http://www.tirerack....=Potenza RE050A

For worth it's worth the RE050 was te upgraded OEM tyre on the 350z from the RE040. So go with it.

However the thing with tyres is there is a big variation between subjective and objective performance and so it's hit and miss but you can't go wrong with either 050s, or MPS 2/SS. I'm sure the ultra high performance spec tyre for the other big brands like Pirelli p zero,contisport or yoko advan will be worth their salt too but going to a semi slick tyre like R888 is fraught with risks as a DD.

- poor wet weather grip

- poor longevity

- poor temperature range especially on heavy car like the zed

- price

To list a few.

Thanks for the link- that was what I was looking for. :)