Mille Miglia Anyone?

The G Man

Ok, maybe not this year for me, still planning my Cote D'azure trip in August B)

I knew little of this classic race until last year when I watched a programme about the petrol head chef James Martin entering a classic car in this event, it was his long standing dream which for the most part, he realized, his car broke down in the end and he recorded a DNF. Shame really as it was a real personal, in terms of time and money, effort.

Anyways, Patrick Stewart ( of Starship Enterprise fame), did a programme shown last night about Stirling Moss (he was some shagger!!), not all but a large chunk of the prog was filmed with the two of them tracing Moss's famous win of the race in 1955, in a classic Merc gullwing.

Well, this got me a bit excited (not as much as Sir Stirling when he was with the ladies after a race, but close) and got me thinking about the actual route as a possible Euro road trip :teeth: , next year.

My usual road trip partner in crime has always wanted to travel to the heel of Italy. but I've always argued that it's too far, around a 4k mile round trip, we have done longer ones, but I wasn't enamored with the idea and didn't see it as a meandering type trip.

But I may have come up with a compromise, take three overnighters and blast our way down to Brescia, perhaps longer depending on route and, do the Mille Miglia route at a leisurely pace, three or four three night stays along the route then a leisurely plod back to blighty B)

This web site that I found http://www.losapos.com/mille_miglia, gives quite a detailed route for a starter plan, but we would obviously get into more detailed planning later this year. I may not be in a Z by then, equally GTish though, so would welcome comments from any knowledgeable people on places en route worth staying or visiting, that two geriatric, functioning alcoholics might enjoy B) , or if anyone is brave enough to join us....

Anyways have a look at the link :thumbs:

• Like 1

I went to see Stirling Moss a while ago and he spoke of this race - fantastic event and some amazing roads. His tales were awesome, the fact that at the same time as the race the public were using those same roads to travel from one view point to the other... he said their bubble cars were in the middle of the road and as he overtook them he could see them wobble off the road. They planned a pee stop in the bushes part way along on the practice run then when the real day came they raced along, got to pee stop and saw a huge bandstand there.....no choice they ran behind and peed.

I always promised i'd do this event in dads vintage car when it was complete (on going for 30+ years now lol) but i'd love to do this in my zed too :) I would definitely do this. Be a good laugh with you too