Black Z, swirls gone...

scubapics

Black Z, dodo juice rotary polisher, Megs 105, Megs soft buff cutting pad, soft buff buffing pad = swirl free bliss :)

I've tried ultimate compound and DA before and it takes forever and still didn't give the best results.

Rotary, cutting pad and M105 work the polish until clear and then switch to buffing pad to work the rest of the polish and jobs a goodun. Make sure the pads are primed with M105 first.

No photos of before / after. You'll just have to take my word for it.

• Like 2

Scratches won't completely go as they are much deeper. You can improve them / make them less visible but you need to remove a lot of paint to get rid of them.

If you are feeling up to it, wet sand the scratches out with 3000 grit wet and dry. Then polish out with a lighter polish.

• 2 weeks later...

Tell me about it! I really want a workshop! Not a garage. A workshop! Ok I'd settle for a double garage.

I've even been looking out for a small business or farm unit to rent. Cheapest I've seen so far is 65pw. But there is a lock in period, insurance, rates, etc etc. ho hum.

I've just bought the megs g220 da. I was gonna use it with ultimate but seeing this, obviously not a great idea. Might get rid of the small ones though. Got swirl x too. Might still give it a go with the ultimate compound to help me better my technique. If it doesn't cut much, I can't do much harm. Saying that I won't be trying it on my car yet. Gonna do my sisters golf, dads Nissan patrol, mum 120d then my bro's m3 before I touch mine! :lol:

Tell me about it! I really want a workshop! Not a garage. A workshop! Ok I'd settle for a double garage.

I've even been looking out for a small business or farm unit to rent. Cheapest I've seen so far is 65pw. But there is a lock in period, insurance, rates, etc etc. ho hum.

Got two double garages, now just to clear them out so I can play with my baby!

I had a very quick go with the Spin Doctor this afternoon, it's brilliant !

I'll do some before/after photo's once I can secure a place to do this in, as I need proper lights to see what I'm doing, also the camera cannot pick up what I've done either (just captures reflections).

Much easy isn't it. I did find that I had some holograms left so I have gone over it with some Megs #80 that I've got spare otherwise I would have bought some Megs 205. It did the job just as well though.

I do have some areas where I still have some swirls that I did not spot on the first go. I will have another crack at it this weekend. I also know why I still have swirls in these areas. I switched to a 4" pad on the rotary on the curved wings and used a 7" megs pad on the flat doors and bonnet panels and used the same technique on both. The problem is that you actually get less bite with the 4" pad as the angular velocity is slower than with a larger pad. So it simply didn't cut as well. However, using a 4" pad on a DA gives more bite than the 7" on a DA. Useful to know and therefore worth keeping the DA.

I've since bought a couple of lake country wool foamed pads to try but they won't turn up till Monday.

In terms of lighting, get yourself a 500W or 1KW halogen work lamp. Fairly cheap. They will certainly show up holograms and perhaps swirls too.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/double-tripod-site-light-2-x-400w-240v/71555

or

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/clarke-single-500w-halogen-detailing-light-with-tripod-sta.php?cPath=21_60_63

So yesterday I had another go at a rear wing. Firstly I tried a megs 7" cutting pad on the rotary.It was difficult to control on the curves. This is why I used a 4" cutting pad on the rotary last time as it was easier. So I switched to a 4" cutting pad on the DA on setting 6 after spreading around on setting 1. Once the polish had gone clear I reduced the speed gradually. I used medium pressure and worked the panel in four sections. This removed the swirls and scratches.

I followed up with megs #80 on a 4" polishing pad (yellow) on the DA. However this left micro-marring - something I had experienced before I had the rotary. So I switched to the rotary with the 4" polishing pad but this didn't help any with regards to the finish. I was just about the pack up for the day when I thought I would try the 7" polishing pad on the rotary. This was much more manageable than the large cutting pad. The result - bliss!

Still no photos. When I redo the other wing next weekend I'll do some before / after pics.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ah cheers for that :)

Just a couple more questions bud, is this removing deeper scratches or just typical swirls\haze ?

Lastly, are you using another polish after the 105 ?

I'm finding I can largely remove light scratches pretty easily, and the paint looks good afterwards but there are still deeper scratches which spoil it.