Clutch question?

Cycloneracer

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and have been to test drive my first 350z today.

I really couldn't fault the car, it was very nice condition and drove really well. I'd read that the clutch would be heavy and this one certainly was! I was surprised by the very short amount of travel on the clutch pedal, probably only about 2 inches, with the clutch biting about half way up. Does this sound about right?

The cars done 70k miles and there's no receipt showing a clutch change, so I assume its the original.

I'd appreciate any advice on what the clutch should feel like!

Thanks

Jack

:welcome: and ................

Heavy clutch and a high biting point are both common on the 350z's a few threads on here about it and how to change it

Check for judder and be sure there is no slip, check 1st to 2nd and 5th for smooth changes also try driving in 5th and take your foot of the gas pedal make sure she don't jump out :thumbs: earlier models are more prone to these issues :)

Edited by Keyser

The 2 inches of travel does seem very short, especially with a car that's known for it's high biting point. Took me a while to get used to mine and hill starts were sometimes a bit cagey (Ask Brillomaster). :lol:

As mentioneid before, there are many threads about the subject, and it may be that a previous owner has done one of the clutch pedal adjustments possible.

If you can post a link to the car you're interested in, it may be known on here and/or be a former forum member's.

Certainly drive a few if you can though, so you have something to compare each with.

Oh, welcome to the forum and good luck with your search :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice. I went to see 2 other cars yesterday, mainly to see what the clutches were like. I think I under estimated the clutch travel a bit, as all of them were very similar. I also took my dad along for a second opinion. It's just very different to anything I've driven before.

Anyway I was so taken by the first car I drove, I've been back and bought it. It's a GT in grey with tan leather, I'm picking it up next Saturday. I'm very excited now, I think this week's going to drag on and on!

Congrats on your new purchase! Great colour choice....

The next week will be a drag, but it'll give you time to prepare for all the grinning you're gonna do once you've picked her up.

Don't forget to show us some pics! Welcome to the club.

You're going to love it buddy. I test drove mine on a whim then bought it less than a week later. Addictive!

On the Clutch issues, if you still think its dodgy get the fluid emptied and changed and see if that gives you a better experience, not a big job, £40 all in from my local Nissan Dealer. As with all cars you also have to adjust your driving style to the car. I dare say that if its your first step into RWD sports cars you'll have a fun learning curve ahead and some things will irritate you (handbrake always gets used as a sodding arm rest by the passenger which can make for a fun game of grabbing their arm at hill starts) and others you'll love (2nd gear roll-on in a tunnel, the length and power of 3rd)

Enjoy her!

As soon as the sales man started it up, the sound was awesome!

I had been looking for a mr2 mk2 turbo, but this is just in a different league. Certainly coming from a 140bhp diesel, the 350z is polar opposite.

I'm a bit more relaxed about the clutch now, but it sounds like there's a few things I can try if I can't get on with it. And yes, if it did eventually need a new clutch, it not the end of the world.