Battery question

Pimm

I need a new battery for the zed, going flat after 5 days of not starting the car.

I only use the car from one week to another depending on weather conditions. Is it best for me to not lock the car so the alarm is not draining the battery ? the car is kept safe in my garage.

I do not have any after market car hifi.

Cheers

Possibly better to use a battery conditioner. Safe and easy to use and makes sure you are good to go irrespective of how long you leave the car between runs.

May be an insurance issue if you did leave the car unlocked 'knowingly'. Decent conditioners can be had for less than £50.

http://www.accumate.co.uk/accumate.htm I've used this one for years, with no problems.

Edited by Watshot

Current drain for the alarm is milliamps and as you have already identified that you need a new battery replace it ASAP as once they start collapsing there is no way back and the drain time will decrease rapidly. Once you have the new battery installed, give it a good charge by taking the car for a run and then use the central locking and alarm normally, using the car just at weekends on a new battery will be fine although a battery conditioner won't do any harm either. :)

Its probably original battery, i had to get new one last month, it was oem batt on 54plate

Mine is a 04 plate and looks like the original one.

Is the battery replacement like for like? I have a halfords trade car, I will go and get a price later.

Current drain for the alarm is milliamps and as you have already identified that you need a new battery replace it ASAP as once they start collapsing there is no way back and the drain time will decrease rapidly. Once you have the new battery installed, give it a good charge by taking the car for a run and then use the central locking and alarm normally, using the car just at weekends on a new battery will be fine although a battery conditioner won't do any harm either. :)

Yes I agree :D

if you got a halfords trade card your laughing. Batteries are basicly half price with that. About the only thing i use mine for. If you dont use the car much i would recommend the halfords advanced battery also. Only a couple of £ more and has a higher amp capacity.

+1

Dont bother disconnecting the battery, they drain themselves even with no charge draining them. You need a decent battery charger that will keep it topped up but not over charge it. A small CTEK unit will be ideal. They have eyelet attachments so you can attach the cable permeantly and then a quick release connector to attach the fly lead to the charger. Easy to do and will keep the battery far happier.

FWIW, I used to leave the 350z/370z for 3-4 weeks of no driving and the battery was fine, so its not the car draining it. Likely to be an old battery that can no longer hold charge.

if you got a halfords trade card your laughing. Batteries are basicly half price with that. About the only thing i use mine for. If you dont use the car much i would recommend the halfords advanced battery also. Only a couple of £ more and has a higher amp capacity.

+1

Also very good for Bosch wipers and oil :)

Edited by Zed devil

Hey Pimm, i think i've mentioned this somewhere else on the site and i'm not sure if its applicable, but the 200SX's i had before my Zed had 3 lithium batteries strapped together that operated the alarm and were charged when the car was running. However after a number of years corrosion set in and no matter how much/often you ran the car it wouldn't charge the lithiums and therefore the alarm was draining the charge fro the battery. This would run the battery totally flat within 2 days. To be honest i don't know if the ZED alarm/immobiliser uses the same system, it may be worth finding out as this could be your problem. Good Luck with it.

Hey Pimm, i think i've mentioned this somewhere else on the site and i'm not sure if its applicable, but the 200SX's i had before my Zed had 3 lithium batteries strapped together that operated the alarm and were charged when the car was running. However after a number of years corrosion set in and no matter how much/often you ran the car it wouldn't charge the lithiums and therefore the alarm was draining the charge fro the battery. This would run the battery totally flat within 2 days. To be honest i don't know if the ZED alarm/immobiliser uses the same system, it may be worth finding out as this could be your problem. Good Luck with it.

No not the same system mate, I just needed a new battery. The old battery was from new 04 plate so was time to be replaced and starts the car so much better.

My battery has just failed for the first time. Required a jump start off the van but had brought up the CEL on dash. Do they always throw a CEL when the battery fails? I'll try resetting it in a min and see if she starts ok today. Gave it a good run last night after getting it started. Hoping it was caused by the cold weather and the fact I left it sat outside not driven for 5days. It's an 06 so could be at the end of its life I suppose.

Steve

Edited by L4V15

Batteries that come with the Zeds are not the best. 4 years coming up and mine needs replacing already :dry:

You never use yours though :p

My Z one lasted about 7 years. My GTR lasted about 5months :lol: GTR used to die within 10 days if not used properly

Batteries that come with the Zeds are not the best. 4 years coming up and mine needs replacing already :dry:

My Z one lasted about 7 years. My GTR lasted about 5months :lol: GTR used to die within 10 days if not used properly

I knew either Pimm or yourself would have a comment. No seriously you do have a point but they are not the best. I had one in my Honda Accord and it lasted 18 months. That was a Panasonic one. Bosch next time for me.

I knew either Pimm or yourself would have a comment. No seriously you do have a point but they are not the best. I had one in my Honda Accord and it lasted 18 months. That was a Panasonic one. Bosch next time for me.

:lol: :lol: