An old DIYer who's calling it a day

Dicky

Decided to change my side lights as one of the original led versions I fitted a couple of years ago started to flicker. It's an easy job and its sunny outside so I'll have it done in a jiffy. No problem.

What a pain in the arse it all is.

First, getting the wheel off the ground is a pain cos the supplied jack and winder thingy are next to useless. Getting the liner out was also a pain cos the wheel liner securing clips had been destroyed by hapless mechanics and replaced by ty-wraps, self tapper screws and other stuff. Replacing the lamp was slightly less of a pain but as you know its a 50/50 chance you get the polarity right and naturally I failed on both replacements. Getting the liners back in is a greater pain cos you get most of the clips back in only to find that the last clip won't go in cos the holes not lined up so you have to remove them all again to free up a bit of slack.

Then doesn't it start just get dark early and to add the final touch of aggravation to the experience doesn't it just start to rain as well.

But you can't stop cos it's getting dark and even with your wind up torch which keeps running down cos the rechargeable batteries are nackered you carry on regardless. I'm now soaking wet, freezing cold, the arthritis has kicked in and I can't turn the remaining fixing screws in by hand. Finally it's done, just need to tidy up and get into a hot bath when the neighbour pulls up in his lovely warm car and wants to tell you at lenghth how hard his day's been.

All to save a couple of quid by DIY. Well not any more matey!!!!!!

The stealers can have all my dosh just give me peace and comfort from hear on un.

I too did this today, I fitted some 5k bulbs and changed my side lights. All was going well till I saw the main light outer casing( circular disk) sitting on the floor!!! FFS!!!

i was lucky though as all the bits in the arch are OEM

Dont give in ;) just dont do any DIY'ing in the winter ;)

• Like 1

I too did this today, I fitted some 5k bulbs and changed my side lights. All was going well till I saw the main light outer casing( circular disk) sitting on the floor!!! FFS!!!

Why is it though that DIY things on the car always happen in the winter? Is it just me or is life just out to get me !

• Like 1

Why is it though that DIY things on the car always happen in the winter? Is it just me or is life just out to get me !

but once you've had time to warm up and grab a beer it is satisfying knowing you've done it yourself and saved some money even if it's not that much :-)

I got half way through your first post and thought Victor Meldrew had signed up ;)

I got half way through your first post and thought Victor Meldrew had signed up ;)

Not another :scare::blush::lol:

Victor Meldrew ! Ha ha ............an mear novice young man !

Hey guys, he called me young man!!!! I like this chap :D

Hey guys, he called me young man!!!! I like this chap :D

Come on then lets get our d--ks out, I'm 65 but keep that to yourself most people believe I'm only 39.

I'm sure you can't beat that. Policemen have looked like young kids to me for lots and lots of years now. Ha ha