Gear selection

jase4072

So Guys, Iv'e had the Z for a couple of months now and i'm looking for a little comparison. Is it me or are the gears a little stiff to select. I have an audi A4 and in comparison there positively easy to engage? I have had the car looked at and nothing seems un toward. I'm thinking its standard for the Z. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jase

So Guys, Iv'e had the Z for a couple of months now and i'm looking for a little comparison. Is it me or are the gears a little stiff to select. I have an audi A4 and in comparison there positively easy to engage? I have had the car looked at and nothing seems un toward. I'm thinking its standard for the Z. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jase

I've driven a few, my first one, second one, R35LEE's and a number of customer cars and I have never driven two the same, clutch feel and gear selection do seem to vary.

Besides that though, they are not the best gearboxes in the world and do have common synchro problems. Get a gearbox oil service and have whoever does it put a gearbox treatment in it. Something like Forte for example. That's your first port of call i'd say.

Whats the year and mileage?

These threads about gearboxes put the fear of god into me.

This is the 2nd thread I've read that mentions problems with 5th.

I have a minor niggle with mine in that on occasions going from 6th to 5th quickly my gearbox crunches. It's only happened 2 or 3 times, could be coincidence or me not depressing the clutch properly, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I can't say I have a problem with stiffness or notchyness in the rest of the gears thankfully.

I would say to the OP that I was very impressed with the gearbox and gear changes in an old mk1 Octavia vRS I had which could share a gearbox with your A4, possibly.

I have a minor niggle with mine in that on occasions going from 6th to 5th quickly my gearbox crunches. It's only happened 2 or 3 times, could be coincidence or me not depressing the clutch properly, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I can't say I have a problem with stiffness or notchyness in the rest of the gears thankfully.

I would say to the OP that I was very impressed with the gearbox and gear changes in an old mk1 Octavia vRS I had which could share a gearbox with your A4, possibly.

When I first got my Zed it had a slight crunch fron 5th to 6th it got worse until it began to vibrate at 4k in 5th really badly. I asked on here and as suggested got my gearbox oil changed and molyslip added. That was on 72k and the gearbox is still smooth as silk on 108k. Yes it is notchy especially when cold but once the oil is warm it is wonderful....

M

My problem with 5th was 4th to 5th and not coming back down the box, mine went at 32k :wacko:

When I first got my Zed it had a slight crunch fron 5th to 6th it got worse until it began to vibrate at 4k in 5th really badly. I asked on here and as suggested got my gearbox oil changed and molyslip added. That was on 72k and the gearbox is still smooth as silk on 108k. Yes it is notchy especially when cold but once the oil is warm it is wonderful....

I remember reading a few threads suggesting changing the gearbox oil and adding molyslip when I was researching buying a Zed, I'll keep it in mind at my next service. I'm planning to go to one of the garages that use this site once I've worked out which is closest and i guess they'll all be aware of issues like this anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys, It normaly happens form 1st to 2nd, or 3rd to 2nd. Cars an 07 plate with 46000 on the clock. I had a skyline before and 2nd was a nightmare until warm then it was fine. I will try the oil remedy but just wanted to make sure it wasn't a gear problem. I'm a little happier now i know you guys have a simular experience. :)

Car had a new clutch and flywheel before i bought it. Fitted around 30000 miles. I'm no expert but i'd expect a little more life out of it. I had the same one in my Skyline up until she went at 101000 miles on her. I thought the Z would be as tuff.

Thanks for the advice guys, It normaly happens form 1st to 2nd, or 3rd to 2nd. Cars an 07 plate with 46000 on the clock. I had a skyline before and 2nd was a nightmare until warm then it was fine. I will try the oil remedy but just wanted to make sure it wasn't a gear problem. I'm a little happier now i know you guys have a simular experience. :)

Pretty much like your Skyline, notchy especially 1st & 2nd until warm, perfectly normal :thumbs: