help! - Wireless routers?

sinbad

Well i have dial up broadband (2.2mb) connection with talktalk. What do i need to buy to go wireless? From my understanding it isn't as straight forward as normal due to my broadband connection being dial-up and not permanently on. I Just want to go wireless and its sooo confusing!! help meee........

Do i just need something like this: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(5941)Belkin-54MB-Wireless-CableDSL-Gateway-Router.aspx

Well my broadband isn't always on, i'm guessing that my line is always active at the actual phone socket but Its down to the modem that was supplied by talktalk that is making me dial up whennever i want to use it. Probably down to security.

Anyway ended up buying this:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(4934)Netgear-DG834G-54Mbps-Wireless-ADSL-Router.aspx

I'll wing it when it comes.. Fingers crossed!

Anyway ended up buying this:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(4934)Netgear-DG834G-54Mbps-Wireless-ADSL-Router.aspx

I'll wing it when it comes.. Fingers crossed!

Thats a perfectly fine router, I have the first version (they are now on v3 iirc), and its worked for me for a good couple of years with no real problems. Only hitch I had was the signal wasnt strong enough so I bought a more powerful antenna.

If you need any help post away :)

Yeah Netgear stuff is fine. I've had 3 of their routers now and now on the DG834PN Rangemax......

Thats fine mate. Just ensure you enable your security on it..... WPA etc...

And i have had 2 one for bt the other one for cable, both fine. :thumbs:

That's pretty much the same router that I've got at the moment.

But just to clarify on the jargon (well not really)...but the reason why your current internet connection may not be classifed as "always on" is because it relies on your PC be powered on and connected to your ADSL modem. If you keep your PC on 24/7 and set your connection to not drop (even it will occasionally), then your connection will be "always on".

Having an ADSL router will mean that it's your router that is connected to the broadband connection, and not your PC, and that it's easier/possible for other devices to make use of the internet connection at the same time.

Again, the router can be setup to not timeout and disconnect, and to attempt to reconnect automatically if you do lose your connection, thusly creating the illusion that you have an "always on" connection.

Wireless doesn't really have any direct relation to the internet - it just means that if you happen to have a wireless ADSL router installed, and some wireless device to talk to it, then you can possibly make use of the internet through that router. If your router is not connected to the internet (for whatever reason), then you should still be able to access other elements of your local network (depending on how you've set it up).

So when you get your router, there will be two main parts to configure (or only one if you don't actually need wireless) - the connection details and credentials for the broadband connection, and the connect settings (and security levels) for the wireless connection.

Good luck. :)

Tin

Guest prescience

I have been informed by my ISP (zen - who I am very happy with) that if I connect my wired router to a different phone line; it will fail BT authentication at the exchange unless the line I use also has a zen-connection.

Is this correct. What they are saying is that its not the number, but the ISP at the exchange :O)

Heres how I beleive it works...

Each line (number) to a property is an individual connection at the exchange, and each can have adsl enabled/disbaled individually.

Your username and password with Zen, will only connect if the number the connection attempt is made from matches that which is registered with BT/Zen.

Thats why you wouldnt be able to connect with your username/password from another phone line with adsl (your neighbours for example) even if they are with Zen too.

Guest prescience
Heres how I beleive it works...

Each line (number) to a property is an individual connection at the exchange, and each can have adsl enabled/disbaled individually.

Your username and password with Zen, will only connect if the number the connection attempt is made from matches that which is registered with BT/Zen.

Thats why you wouldnt be able to connect with your username/password from another phone line with adsl (yourneighbours for example) even if they are with Zen too.

OK noted this is what Zen support said ....

You could use your router on your neighbours line, but only if they had a Zen connection, otherwise the authentication would fail at the BT Exchange.

so the only difference is that they say the number (line number ) is irrelevant

Hmm very strange. I know that my username/password will not work on my mothers line and she is with the same ISP.

It may well be that the exchange forwards data down the relevant port depending on which ISP you are with, and the isp can then block communications depending on the line identifier.

Guest prescience

Probably won't be able to check whether they are right - so you probably are, having checked.

Must say Zen are an excellent ISP B)B)

Hmm very strange. I know that my username/password will not work on my mothers line and she is with the same ISP.

It may well be that the exchange forwards data down the relevant port depending on which ISP you are with, and the isp can then block communications depending on the line identifier.

Might be something to do with the fact that Zen (who are based in the next town from me) have probably taken advantage of the new LLU rule and installed their own kit into the exchanges........ probably something there doing authentication.

Just an idea....

• 1 month later...

Ok. I really need to get a wireless connection set up now that I'm working from home. I'm with Tiscali for my broadband connection. Been on their pages and they have these for sale:

http://www.tiscali.dslshop.co.uk/produc ... roduct=472

Do I have to use one of their routers or can I get a netgear or similar router from eBay? If I do that what essential items do I need along with the router?

TIA

:)

You NEVER have to use an ISP's router, mate. A wireless router is a wireless router....... The only variables are the quality and ease of setup. I'm with Pipex and use a BT Voyager wireless router.

My parents signed up with Talk-Talk a few months ago and Carphone Warehouse "recommended" that they took one of their shitey routers. It's got a range of about 2 meters. Crap. You usually find that the routers the ISP's bundle in are pretty bargain basement. I think my voyager was 60 quid. Never had a problem with it and it practically set itself up, which was handy as I'm useless when it comes to computer geekery.

You NEVER have to use an ISP's router, mate. A wireless router is a wireless router....... The only variables are the quality and ease of setup. I'm with Pipex and use a BT Voyager wireless router.

My parents signed up with Talk-Talk a few months ago and Carphone Warehouse "recommended" that they took one of their shitey routers. It's got a range of about 2 meters. Crap. You usually find that the routers the ISP's bundle in are pretty bargain basement. I think my voyager was 60 quid. Never had a problem with it and it practically set itself up, which was handy as I'm useless when it comes to computer geekery.

Cheers for that :thumbs:

So does this look ok?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-54-Mbps-W ... dZViewItem

I want a good one with a big enough range to use my laptop in my office and living room. :blush:

Guest prescience

So does this look ok?

I want a good one with a big enough range to use my laptop in my office and living room. :blush:

That's fine but bear in mind that you need something on your PC/laptop to pick-up the signal .. there are 3 options for this

1. You have a laptop which has a built-in wireless facility. if so, you need nothing else, but check which spec of wireless it has because downloads speeds will be slower for older laptops (someone else will advise more here). You will need to start the Wireless Zero Connection (WZC) service on your PC ... http://paininthetech.com/disable_wirele ... windows_xp (but enable not disable)

2. You have a laptop with a spare PCMIA slot - you need a wirless card to go in that slot (£25-£40). That's a neat tidy solution. Best to disable WZC if you have it in this case (see above)

3. You have a laptop or desktop or multiples. You need USB adapters for each one which plug into a USB port.

So does this look ok?

That's fine but bear in mind that you need something on your PC/laptop to pick-up the signal .. there are 3 options for this

1. You have a laptop which has a built-in wireless facility. if so, you need nothing else, but check which spec of wireless it has because downloads speeds will be slower for older laptops (someone else will advise more here). You will need to start the Wireless Zero Connection (WZC) service on your PC ... http://paininthetech.com/disable_wirele ... windows_xp (but enable not disable)

2. You have a laptop with a spare PCMIA slot - you need a wirless card to go in that slot (£25-£40). That's a neat tidy solution. Best to disable WZC if you have it in this case (see above)

3. You have a laptop or desktop or multiples. You need USB adapters for each one which plug into a USB port.

My current laptop has wireless connectivity built in, as I am on-line now via (someone elses :ninja:) wireless connection, but its as slow as @*!# as the signal is very weak.

Therefore can I assume that I just need a router like the one in the link above?

Guest prescience

So does this look ok?

My current laptop has wireless connectivity built in, as I am on-line now via (someone elses :ninja:) wireless connection, but its as slow as @*!# as the signal is very weak.

Therefore can I assume that I just need a router like the one in the link above?

yes correct :thumbs:

Older laptops have the 'b' protocol built-in whereas newer models have the 'g' (I think :surrender: someone help me out here); if you have the 'b', then that will limit your speed although the signal strength will too of course.

I am currently also on a neighbour's wireless connection :thumbs::ninja:

So does this look ok?

I dare say that one will be fine. As I said, I'm no expert. Read some reviews on that Netgear one to be sure. Also, first thing to do when you hook your router up is to encrypt it. (to stop other people doing what you're doing just now :ninja: )