help! - Wireless routers?

sinbad

You NEVER have to use an ISP's router, mate. A wireless router is a wireless router....... The only variables are the quality and ease of setup. I'm with Pipex and use a BT Voyager wireless router.

My parents signed up with Talk-Talk a few months ago and Carphone Warehouse "recommended" that they took one of their shitey routers. It's got a range of about 2 meters. Crap. You usually find that the routers the ISP's bundle in are pretty bargain basement. I think my voyager was 60 quid. Never had a problem with it and it practically set itself up, which was handy as I'm useless when it comes to computer geekery.

Cheers for that :thumbs:

So does this look ok?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-54-Mbps-W ... dZViewItem

I want a good one with a big enough range to use my laptop in my office and living room. :blush:

I dare say that one will be fine. As I said, I'm no expert. Read some reviews on that Netgear one to be sure. Also, first thing to do when you hook your router up is to encrypt it. (to stop other people doing what you're doing just now :ninja: )

One thing (amoungst millions of other things) that is boggling my little mind is when I get it and set it up. Will I connect the current modem directly into the wireless router? Will i need to make any changes to my subscription or inform Tiscali, or is it nothing to do with them how my laptop actually recieves its internet question? :wacko:

The item you have linked to on ebay Liam is a Modem router - which means it has the ADSL (broadband) modem built into it.

In short, your phone line will plug into the router, and your laptop will pick up the signal from your router (consider it a modem that can send the signal to your laptop via wireless).

You should not need to make any changes on your tiscali account.

I assume at present you have your laptop configured with a connection that has a username and password which you use to ge the modem to connect to tiscali.

All you will need to do is put that username and password into the software that is on the router.

Instead of your laptop telling the modem what username and password to use, the router has its own software built in that holds that information.

The instructions that come with that particular router are quite easy to follow - and I have the exact same router if you get stuck. :thumbs:

The item you have linked to on ebay Liam is a Modem router - which means it has the ADSL (broadband) modem built into it.

In short, your phone line will plug into the router, and your laptop will pick up the signal from your router (consider it a modem that can send the signal to your laptop via wireless).

You should not need to make any changes on your tiscali account.

I assume at present you have your laptop configured with a connection that has a username and password which you use to ge the modem to connect to tiscali.

All you will need to do is put that username and password into the software that is on the router.

Instead of your laptop telling the modem what username and password to use, the router has its own software built in that holds that information.

The instructions that come with that particular router are quite easy to follow - and I have the exact same router if you get stuck. :thumbs:

Cheers for that, all clear now :)

Chesterfield is spot on. I also have a Netgear router and never have trouble.

One thing I would say is you may need more connection information than just the username/password. You may need things such as the VPI/VCI and whether it is PPPoE or PPPoA. Not likely but worth noting from the connection settings on your current connection (modem).

If you need any help just shout up :thumbs:

Chesterfield is spot on. I also have a Netgear router and never have trouble.

One thing I would say is you may need more connection information than just the username/password. You may need things such as the VPI/VCI and whether it is PPPoE or PPPoA. Not likely but worth noting from the connection settings on your current connection (modem).

If you need any help just shout up :thumbs:

I have all that info, I have just conneted up a Huawei wireless adsl2+ router to Tiscali and all is good. If you want to know anything else give me a buzz as it is me who is selling Tiscali all the equipment in the BT exchanges to enable you to connect .

In fact it is Tiscali who has funded my MY06 silver GT. - TA !!!!

Mark

:yahoo:

Guys the netgear stuff is very good indeed, have used it in various guises at home (although not now) and always been very impressed. Additionally we are a completely wireless office running 8 laptops and 3 desktops all off netgear stuff (ok its the pro stuff but still).

As for ISPs I'm just about to give you the recommendation of all recommendations - its a lengthy story which I'm just about to type out but is well worth a look for anyone who is considering a new/switch ISP.

I reckon I've encountered every problem out there now so take a look :thumbs:

Oh and 1 other point, someone raised it - Chesterfield I think, that the line was a physical connection at the exchange - you're quite correct there is a physical line connection that someone actually has to "plug in" so to say.

Also speeds are all dependent on the quality of your line coming to your house (yep its all still the BT copper cable) and also the distance from your exchange. There is a site where you can check all of this in addition to the ISP equipment that is in there. It used to be that BT had all their own equipment and rented it out, this is changing and its not uncommon for 6 or 7 or so ISPs to all have their own kit in an exchange - this is a great benefit imo.

Oh and 1 other point, someone raised it - Chesterfield I think, that the line was a physical connection at the exchange - you're quite correct there is a physical line connection that someone actually has to "plug in" so to say.

Also speeds are all dependent on the quality of your line coming to your house (yep its all still the BT copper cable) and also the distance from your exchange. There is a site where you can check all of this in addition to the ISP equipment that is in there. It used to be that BT had all their own equipment and rented it out, this is changing and its not uncommon for 6 or 7 or so ISPs to all have their own kit in an exchange - this is a great benefit imo.

Here is the site. FYI it is Huawei's kit being installed by Carphone and Tiscali

Also - Tiscali's info on this site is not up to date, they will have 800 exchanges installed in the next couple of months.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/

Cheers

Mark

Oh and another thing whilst I remember. Do NOT use WEP as an encryption technique, it is old and too easily hacked into. Probably best to use WPA-PSK.

Cheers

Mark

Although if its all you have, its not that bad. I have it on my network at home as its the only encryption my mums laptop supports. In all honesty its pretty damn time consuming trying to crack it in the home environment. I did a study as part of my MSc and at the rate I was collecting the right unique frames it would have taken me a month of constant sniffing to get enough unique frames to get the key! In work places however, you can get enough in about an hour or two. I would say use it as a last resort as at home its not too bad, but there is a lot better!

:)

Oh and another thing whilst I remember. Do NOT use WEP as an encryption technique, it is old and too easily hacked into. Probably best to use WPA-PSK.

Cheers

Mark

Although if its all you have, its not that bad. I have it on my network at home as its the only encryption my mums laptop supports. In all honesty its pretty damn time consuming trying to crack it in the home environment. I did a study as part of my MSc and at the rate I was collecting the right unique frames it would have taken me a month of constant sniffing to get enough unique frames to get the key! In work places however, you can get enough in about an hour or two. I would say use it as a last resort as at home its not too bad, but there is a lot better!

Yes I totally agree. To be fair I only started using any encryption in the last month, after hearing horror stories about people hi-jacking the interweb connection, downloading horrible sh*t to their computers, but of course the ip address of the connection was of the router. The police got involved, confiscated said innocents computer and it was up to him to prove himself innocent !!

The moral of the story - use the best encryption you can javascript:emoticon(':scare:')

Scared

:)