Clutch fluid changed... Whats wrong with this pic

R-Face

So I go to Japtech in Grimsby, a new branch of the garage by the same name in Hull. I get the car MOT'd and ask for them to change the hydraulic clutch fluid and supply them with unopened Motul 600. There were only two of them in and I was the only customer there. After getting back home and thinking the clutch feels exactly the same I pop the bonnet to check its new fluid and this is what I find!

clutchfluid001.jpg

clutchfluid002.jpg

Notice how the brake fluid is clean and clear, you might think they accidentally changed the brake fluid instead but they definitely knew it was the clutch fluid that needed replacing, he confirmed it on the phone in the proceeding phonecall; I drove straight back and found the garage closed. Gave the number on the door a ring and got through to the Hull branch who I explained the problem to. I got a phone call 5 minutes later off the guy who changed it who said he "definitely changed the clutch fluid as its the smaller of the two reservoirs" Said they had NOT changed the brake fluid. Then he tells me they're on a breakdown callout and will have to take the car back to Hull, they asked me to come in on Monday morning to check it out.

This is so dodgy to me, the Motul 600 is almost completely clear and they have only used less than a quarter of the bottle. I haven't changed the brake fluid in the year I've owned the car so I wouldn't expect it to be clear. I suspect they sucked out what was in the brake reservoir and just refilled it with new stuff as they definitely didn't bleed the brakes either, which they also confirmed on the phone.

Any comments on this. I really hope they own up to this and sort it out for free. Should I demand my money back as well? This is why I don't trust garages and usually do all my own work, service stamps mean bugger all! No offense to the honest garages out there

Unfortunately it looks like you're completely correct. The only good news is that at least RBF600 won't damage your braking system! I'm guessing he was just absent-minded about it holding a bottle of brake fluid... I would just ask for a refund and chalk it up to experience. If you take it back who knows what they'll c0ck up next time.

I'll update you on what happens tomorrow. Looking forward to what they have to say. Might take a look at the bleed nipple too and see if they've had a spanner to it before aswell. Thanks for the offer jonst, should be able to ge my dad or brother to gpive a hand. I'll take the advice stoker and take it there next time!

:thumbdown: Sorry for all this text! I have to rant! :angry:

Took it back in this morning and there was a different guy in charge turn up and the original younger lad who did the work. I explained the problem and showed him and he was adamant the guys that did it would never say they've done work when they haven't. :dry:

He tested the brake fluid and it came up Good on his tester (the fluid they didn't touch). When he tested the clutch fluid all but one light illuminated which meant it was pretty bad! lol. He didn't have a lot to say to that but offered to change it again while I watched. I accepted as it was a different guy and would save me the hassle. Then he started coming out with the BS that it could be dirt in the pot contaminating it and how the master cylinder seals can turn inside out plus any other ridiculous theories you can imagine.

Watched him carry out the work and after the first top up the fluid instantly turned golden and clean.. That was when he said that's what it should have looked like the first time while eviling the younger lad... :dry:

They flushed through the system by leaving the nipple open with a bottle and tube attached while pumping the peddle. They then tested the clutch which was very springy and wouldn't return so obviously air in it. I told him to use the method were you pump the peddle and hold, open the nipple, close it then release the peddle. Got a bit more air out after a few attempts but still wasn't right. So he said he will gravity bleed it, so he tried that for a while then closed it all up and tested the clutch and said it was done. When I checked, it wasn't done :bangin: still not firm in the top portion of travel like it was before I set this lot loose on it so then came the BS about how it's new fluid or could be my clutch going as they are rubbish on these, or it was because when I drive I leave my foot rested on the peddle because "there's definitely no air in it!" So I said I know my car and that isn't right, let me see no air bleed out. I watched him bleed it and air came out, awesome. I noticed the tube over the nipple wasn't the tightest seal and got him to cut it down for a better seal, that helped get rid of a bit more air since it wasn't seeping through any more. Tested the clutch again and it was better, not sure if I'm paranoid but it could need a bit more bleeding but I'd had enough and got out of there.

Incompetent. This is terrible, they would have got away with it if someone like my girlfriend had this done.

I feel for you, WTF don't they have a power bleed system, you know, being a professional garage and all. Clutch systems always take a fair bit of bleeding. Your methodology for manual bleeding is just a little out, you open the nipple then depress the clutch fully before closing the nipple, then let the pedal back up. You might have meant to write that anyway.

I feel for you, WTF don't they have a power bleed system, you know, being a professional garage and all. Clutch systems always take a fair bit of bleeding. Your methodology for manual bleeding is just a little out, you open the nipple then depress the clutch fully before closing the nipple, then let the pedal back up. You might have meant to write that anyway.

From reading the service manual it says not to use a power bleeder, not sure why. Also (from memory of the manual) the procedure is pump the pedal 5 times and hold, open nipple, close nipple, release pedal, wait 5secs and repeat.

Might be worth a mention to your local Trading Standards. They may have heard of them before? Or a least they can keep an eye open for them. If enough people contact them, they might investigate. (if there's nothing on telly that day :lol: )

I take my Zed to AT Motors which is next to the Honest Lawyer,Ladysmith Rd.If you have any issues pop there and ask for Paul,he's a Zed fan and very good at looking after them.I was thinking of seeing what Japtech were like,don't think i'll bother. :thumbs:

My mate runs coopers coaches in Ladysmith road.

Bit of useless info but small world!

B)