RT's Rum Diaries

rtbiscuit

I've just picked up a bottle of chairmans for Christmas drinking - it's a good choice for the stocks.

The spiced version is too heavily clove flavoured for my liking as an everyday choice but it has a very Christmas flavour to it that won't disappoint!

I have just been given a bottle of captain Morgan private stock which I am yet to sample. I have 7 different rums in the selection atm...so very spoilt for choice :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

share your drinking thoughts. on what you got. the more input the better, have to agree the spiced chairmans reserve is quiet strong in flavour, glad you said cloves as I was struggling to pin point the extra kick I was getting over the cinnamon. like you said its a good Christmas rum. I don't mind it mixed. but the normal chairmans is great.

got the best part of 4 bottles of rum to drink, so it will be a couple of weeks before I try something new. not sure what to try next. only 2 in the supermarkets not tried is the appletons and the Havana club. and maybe the Bacardi oakheart. might have to order online the 4 square one to try next.

any suggestions peeps what to give a go to next?

share your drinking thoughts. on what you got. the more input the better, have to agree the spiced chairmans reserve is quiet strong in flavour, glad you said cloves as I was struggling to pin point the extra kick I was getting over the cinnamon. like you said its a good Christmas rum. I don't mind it mixed. but the normal chairmans is great.

got the best part of 4 bottles of rum to drink, so it will be a couple of weeks before I try something new. not sure what to try next. only 2 in the supermarkets not tried is the appletons and the Havana club. and maybe the Bacardi oakheart. might have to order online the 4 square one to try next.

any suggestions peeps what to give a go to next?

I will do a bit of a write up as I work my way though them...I am fairly biased towards the Eldorado 12yo and the Zacapa 23yo - both are absolutely stunning.

With the Zacapa, if you hold it in your mouth for 15-20 seconds first, you will get sweet toffee flavours and a completely different flavour than if you just throw it down. I will do a more comprehensive write up when I have the bottle in front of me...

@ biscuit; I am right next to the Whisky Exchange at work, so happy to pick some selections up if logistics make that easier...I will be in there before the Wales trip next year, that's for sure :thumbs:

Appletons has a nice varied range - and you can pick out very different flavours between the bottles. I need to check the specific bottle but I was told that with one variety of the Appletons to try drinking it neat but having fresh lime, demarara sugar and coffee granuals to hand. You then dip one side of the lime in the sugar, other side in the coffee, bite into the lime and then drink the rum. It's a bit theatrical and a bit ceremonial, but worth a try. Half of me believes that when you start having to drink like that - it, like Absinthe with the burn sugar on a spoon, is a bit too close to a crack habit!

Diplomatico do a nice range of sipping rums - and that is really where you are by the time you have got there (so hang up the mixers).

As for suggestions - what are your preferences?

I am a fan of the sweeter demarara flavoured sipping rums but partial to spiced rums with mixers or some select everyday drinking rums - even I think I sound like an alcoholic now :lol:

Edited by 350Chris