Options

ric

Hi guys,

I've searched around the forum for a while now, and whilst there is a wealth of information here, I can't seem to find the simple bits which link the more detailed information together.

In short, I currently have a UK GT 350z with brembos. Everything is standard brake wise, and they are next on the list of parts to get some TLC. But, I'm struggling to answer some of the more simple questions so hopefully someone could help!

Thanks in advance,

Calipers:

I assume that the brembos are decent enough spec without spending lots of £££s?

Pads:

What is considered the best option to fit with the Brembo Calipers? Is there any differences between the main brands or do they differ completely?

Dics:

Again, I see lots of different things mentioned on here, but nowhere which really describes the difference. I'd like to get some new discs all around, and wouldn't mind paying a little extra for something nice as long as I felt it was worthwhile (especially with a new set of pads).

Brake lines:

I read a few people installed some new (braided?) brake lines, does this make a big difference? Or is it something which is definately worth doing when changing the above?

Thanks in advance,

:teeth: It depends on what you're going to use the car for. :teeth:

I've tried a couple of different things on the Z:

I liked Ferrodo pads for spirited road driving. good initial bite but couldn't quite handle the temperatures on a long fast drive and wore down completely after one and a bit track days.

I have EBC blue stuff pads with DBA rotors now. Depite some people's worries, the blue stuffs have plenty of initial bite for the road and once up to temperature they are very strong. they don't seem to make anywhere near as much dust as the ferrodos either. They aren't cheap but they seem to be lasting well which offsets the price I guess. I would definitely recommend them if your keeping the stock callipers. Some people recommend Mintex but I have no experience with them.

I have had good results with motul 600 brake fluid. on 30 min track runs the pedal stayed very firm.

:teeth: It depends on what you're going to use the car for. :teeth:

I've tried a couple of different things on the Z:

I liked Ferrodo pads for spirited road driving. good initial bite but couldn't quite handle the temperatures on a long fast drive and wore down completely after one and a bit track days.

I have EBC blue stuff pads with DBA rotors now. Depite some people's worries, the blue stuffs have plenty of initial bite for the road and once up to temperature they are very strong. they don't seem to make anywhere near as much dust as the ferrodos either. They aren't cheap but they seem to be lasting well which offsets the price I guess. I would definitely recommend them if your keeping the stock callipers. Some people recommend Mintex but I have no experience with them.

I have had good results with motul 600 brake fluid. on 30 min track runs the pedal stayed very firm.

I use bluestuff and yellowstuff pads on track with very aggressive driving and they are fantastic value for money. Bluestuff and rbf660 fluid is my favourite combination for track

I guess i should have included what I'll be using the car for in the first post. The car won't be used on track, it will just be used on the road. I don't drive it every day, but generally it is for spirited road use.

I'm still not too sure on the benefit of each part though if I'm honest. I can see the benefit for something like track use, but will I see much difference for road use? Especially things like the braided lines etc.

Cheers,

I guess i should have included what I'll be using the car for in the first post. The car won't be used on track, it will just be used on the road. I don't drive it every day, but generally it is for spirited road use.

I'm still not too sure on the benefit of each part though if I'm honest. I can see the benefit for something like track use, but will I see much difference for road use? Especially things like the braided lines etc.

Cheers,

Braided lines give much better pedal feel and a much more precise brake especially on spirited drives. I'd personally go with yellowstuff pads and rbf600 with braided lines.

I use yellowstuff on road and they're great value for money and not overly dusty. I have used them on track and they withstand a good beating :thumbs:

Braided lines give much better pedal feel and a much more precise brake especially on spirited drives. I'd personally go with yellowstuff pads and rbf600 with braided lines.

I use yellowstuff on road and they're great value for money and not overly dusty. I have used them on track and they withstand a good beating :thumbs:

:thumbs: Spot on IMO. I wouldnt go changing calipers or dicsc unless you are doing some track work, the standard stuff is more than adequate for anything thats going to happen on the road :)