5 AM, such fun !

rob d

Well chaps, I have been threatening for ages but here I go. Up at 5 am for a little drive...to Abbey motorsport!!!

new steering bushes

clicky axle repair

Pipe - miltek

plenum spacer

remap :yahoo:

and what ever else creeps up on me. :stir:

All being done to my 06 ragtop - facelift. Supposedly having 300horses already we will see what the final result is.

The car is being left there for a week so the next post will be a while. Thats if I live through my encounter with British Rail for the return journey :byebye:

Mmmm up at 5 is the best time for a drive... remember doing bracknell down to dover just as the sun was coming up last december, not a soul on the roads and a nice crisp air.

I love early morning runs, the early morning airport run is the best - something about empty lit dual carriageways that makes me think of driving in Tokyo for some reason.

Enjoy the car, you'll want to drive it everywhere with a new exhaust and a remap!

what a brill blast that was :-) found abbey easy enough. Although I did go to 1 woodhurst lane which is a bungalow.....

had a good hot cuppa from Scott and we talked throught he works planned. All good then a lift to the train station to boot :thumbs:

Have to wait a week now for part 2.....

The mods done as follows:

plenum spacer

milltek zorst

hi flow filter

remap

who has had this done ? what results did you get ? I have an 06 facelift. Supposedly with 300bhp. :stir:

Also done:

nylon suspension bushes

braided brake lines

clicky axle fix

I shall see u there then. I'm in for a service and a few bits. I had a plenum spacer and decats done last time, all ready had a tanabe medallion pipe on and filter. The uprev got it to 267 at the wheels I think. But what to really look forward to is the driving experience after the uprev.

The mods done as follows:

plenum spacer

milltek zorst

hi flow filter

remap

who has had this done ? what results did you get ? I have an 06 facelift. Supposedly with 300bhp. :stir:

Also done:

nylon suspension bushes

braided brake lines

clicky axle fix

I assume you're picking it up tomorrow :shrug: If so you won't believe the difference :)

i got thee power curves map back this afternoon.

12 bhp increase. thats not a missprint. 12.

I phoned and discussed that 12 bhp for 2K was a bit low. Apparently the pipe is not a performance part, so i should take that out of the cost. :scare:

Still, 12 bhp. I expected more I must say. Apprently 12 - 15 hp increase is what to expect. I am doing about 270 at the wheel now.

I have been assured that it's not all about the 12 bhp rather the overall performance is miles better.

Any corroborative experiences from anyone ????? Please ? Tell me I didnt waste time and money here as I am not picking it up until Saturday I am just having to wait and see. :headhurt:

What's the torque graph like? What you will notice is far quicker throttle response and a far more even power delivery across the range, especially in 1st, 2nd & 3rd. It's hard to explain without feeling it so to speak, I certainly don't think I wasted my money, the car was a complete revelation when I got mine back :) I'm sure others will say much the same, only two more sleeps :thumbs:

You won't be disappointed, my 313 made 292hp with similar mods, no plenum tho. The car sounds like it should and is much more responsive. You'll never get massive power hikes n/a but the driving experience is much improved, it's not all about numbers.

Presumably (assuming the graphs are still produced in the same way) you have made the adjustment to the bhp figure as required - the green bhp box +35 I think it was at the last count (to compare with the factory figure).

I also have a strange feeling that the "before" figure is sometimes produced having fitted the new parts but before the remap.

I don't care about bhp that much but with Milltek, Berks HFCs, Plenum Spacer and JWT Pop charger (the latter probably makes it worse) I ended up with 299.2. The outcome does also depend on the state of your engine before you started - they all vary.

The key graphs that affect the driveability are a) the AFR ratio (showing mix of air/fuel) - which should look dramatically different- the re-map eliminates the lazy throttle response mapped in from the factory and B) the torque which should have increased consistently throughout the rev range.

The difference should be significantly beyond what you will now be expecting having looked at the figures.

I stand to be corrected but I think you add 35 to the 265.6 to compare with the original factory figure so you are now appx 300.6.

My graph bhp gain was 17.6 but I had high flow cats. My torque gain was a bit higher than yours but that may be for the same reason. Your plot line on the AFR chart does show a significantly different and smoother shape after the re-map.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Plus the Milltek exhaust is a high quality item (unlike the rusty tin original - albeit the OEM can take good power).

We run the car with the stock map with the new exhaust fitted then we re-tune the stock ECU with the Uprev software , so your not actually seeing the full gain we have gained after the exhaust fitting and remap.

But the main gains are the throttle response in the lower 3 gears and the gain in torque through out the rev range these only become apparent when driving the car not seeing figures on a dyno plot.

350zdynowork.jpg

I have put hub bhp and flywheel torque on the same dyno sheet for ease of viewing you see the car has gain through the rev range in both BHP/Torque.

But as I have said above the dyno plot doesn't show the main gain after the remap using the Uprev software.

looking forward to the 07.00 train ride back to my dear Z :teeth:

Anticipation is growing after assurances, Thanks chaps.

I would like to point out at this point that Abbey have been super helpful and I am in no way suggesting anything else.

My apprehension was the fact that the gain is so apparently low. But as everyone says, proof will be in the driving :drive1

Now, do I go home via north wales.....

looking forward to the 07.00 train ride back to my dear Z :teeth:

Anticipation is growing after assurances, Thanks chaps.

I would like to point out at this point that Abbey have been super helpful and I am in no way suggesting anything else.

My apprehension was the fact that the gain is so apparently low. But as everyone says, proof will be in the driving :drive1

Now, do I go home via north wales.....

It would seem rude not to :drive1:)

gggaaaahhhhhhh :wacko: 06.00 on a saturday...........

nearly time for my train to Abbey :thumbs:

Wish I'd have seen this earlier, I've got to drop my car off there today. I could've picked you up somewhere and you could have dropped me at the station in your car after. :lol:

That would have saved time for all, ah well....

Mark of Abbey picked me up from the station as he was such a good chap. We chatted about the figures as noted here on the forum. We agreed that yes it is not all about the paperwork but yes, you do need a yard stick to measure by.

mark ran through all that was done and the staging of the throttle response. All very good indeed.

i would like to reiterate that Abbey have been sterling types at every point of this activity. The quality of work and level of service is flawless. Any comments here are not aimed 'at' them or to denigrate the service given. More to reflect on an upgrade that many had done and many more would like to do, and this is my experience of doing it.

So to the car and the journey home....

Apart from the sat nav having a cow and sending me way off piste it was very enjoyable indeed.

The exhaust is perfect for tick over, lending a little bass and presence and singing well at full throttle. Oh how I mentally mocked the standard azure 06 that I met on the M25. It looked pretty i though B)

The power delivery is markedly better. Smoother everywhere and more accessable power when it is asked for. Nissan take note.

is it faster ? No, not really.

Is it a better car for the work done ? yes. Lots? well,,,,, not earth shattering but a bloody good polish to what was there before.

It is now the car it should have been. It sounds like it should do and it does feel more refined.

Is it worth £2K for the performance package ? ( I spent more but not on perf bits ) Depends on what £2K means to you.

Would I do it knowing the results ? I really cant say.

Its better -yes. Do these things come cheap - no. So my advice is to try before you buy. Drive somone elses and contrast and compare to your own. Thats the best possible advice I can give. If you are happy and want it done, then I certainly endorse Abbey to do it for you.

I will of course take it out and thrash the thing again tomorrow, so maybe that tells you all you need to know. :thumbs: