Double DIN Nav Units

waltzinblack

Looking at replacing my OEM head unit with a nice double DIN nav/multimedia unit.

Similar to these http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/double_d ... ml?cat=718

Really don't know which one to get, reviews seem biased and few and far between... All I want is touch screen or mainly touch screen, GOOD FIT AND LOOKS, quality/works well, iPod connectivity, sat nav, and bluetooth.

I have a few other questions regarding it too, answers to all of these are littered about the forum and I can never really find exactly what I'm asking for..

-If the aux cable has to be run out of the back, how easy is it to have it coming through and poking into the transmission tunnel compartment?

-Can steering wheel controls/OEM bluetooth gubbins be retained with these types of HUs?

-What are common problems encountered with aftermarket HUs? Sound quality? Volume?

-Is it possible that the OBD reader app for the iphone (seen it in Wasso's car!) can be linked to display on the screen? Pretty interested in this idea..

:)

Looking at replacing my OEM head unit with a nice double DIN nav/multimedia unit.

Similar to these http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/double_d ... ml?cat=718

Really don't know which one to get, reviews seem biased and few and far between... All I want is touch screen or mainly touch screen, GOOD FIT AND LOOKS, quality/works well, iPod connectivity, sat nav, and bluetooth.

I have a few other questions regarding it too, answers to all of these are littered about the forum and I can never really find exactly what I'm asking for..

-If the aux cable has to be run out of the back, how easy is it to have it coming through and poking into the transmission tunnel compartment?

pretty easy. use a coat hanger.

-Can steering wheel controls/OEM bluetooth gubbins be retained with these types of HUs?

YES, most have compatible adapters

-What are common problems encountered with aftermarket HUs? Sound quality? Volume?

quality is usually very good. but sound can be reduced, inline boosters can be installed

-Is it possible that the OBD reader app for the iphone (seen it in Wasso's car!) can be linked to display on the screen? Pretty interested in this idea..

not unless you hack the unit, and put in your own software system. plus you need a WIFI connection into the OBII port.

My pioneer f900bt sounds like it does all the things you want, they've brought out a couple of new versions since, I think the latest is the f930bt

The Bluetooth runs through a seperate microphone and the steering wheel buttons don't work to pick up all call but I'm not aware of a headunit that can make use of the oem Bluetooth microphone or the steering wheel controls for Bluetooth.

You can get one of these to attach to your phone, then plug into the Aux IN of your HU. Don't quote me on this, as it all depends on the connections available on the back of your HU. But couldn't see why not.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-GB

Passing cables from behind the HU to the tunnel and outside is no problem. My iPhone connector is accessible in the passenger footwell dropped between the tunnel plastics etc

not unless you hack the unit, and put in your own software system. plus you need a WIFI connection into the OBII port.

Possibly wrong. Pioneer appradio can play certain compatible apps on screen I know the android torque app works. Check out the pioneer site and look it up. Any compatible app on your phone will also work on screen.

Thanks for that, but after researching I think I might leave the OBD thing and concentrate on the best Nav and best fitting unit possible.

I'm thinking Alpine so far unless there are other suggestions :thumbs:

How easy should these be to fit?

I managed it without electricuting myself or setting anything on fire :)