Taking the Zed on a French road adventure...

atchi123

Decided to have a blast over to somewhere in France (probs Brittany area) with the Z and missus in May sometime. Never really been to proper France (except Paris and Calais on a booze haul), so wondered if anyone had any tips for the driving over there...roads fun? many speed cameras? petrol cheap? any good places to stop off?

Decided to have a blast over to somewhere in France (probs Brittany area) with the Z and missus in May sometime. Never really been to proper France (except Paris and Calais on a booze haul), so wondered if anyone had any tips for the driving over there...roads fun? many speed cameras? petrol cheap? any good places to stop off?

Driven in France quite a few times. Roads are superb and much better than here. Motorways are superb but you obviously pay toll fees. Petrol about the same and in all the time i have driven i can only remember seeing 1 speed camera. You will love it. I have done calais to canne. Calais to bordeaux and cherboutg to the vendee region. Superb scenery and great roads. :thumbs:

I've been to France a few times. Brittany is alot like Cornwall. If you want to take in some good roads try going further south, such as the Vendee and go further south.

The weather is also better.. :thumbs:

I would agree with Kev , once you get South of Paris the scenery gets a lot better, why not have a trip down to the Millau bridge ? Fantastic roads down there :thumbs:

watch the French toll roads, if you break the speed limit on your average speed , instant fine :dry:

Is this really true, thought it was a bit of an urban myth, as don't you need the police to be at the toll booth?

I've seen pictures of a Scooby on a French Moorway doing 165mph... :scare:

watch the French toll roads, if you break the speed limit on your average speed , instant fine :dry:

Is this really true, thought it was a bit of an urban myth, as don't you need the police to be at the toll booth?

I've seen pictures of a Scooby on a French Moorway doing 165mph... :scare:

yep , friend of mine got done average 110mph, but your right police was at toll booth, only way to do it is have a rest at a service station :teeth:

Gents,

I go over quite a bit. (still waiting for the paper work to complete before I get my house out there, )

First there is speed camera's and they CAN pass the details onto UK DVLA, so exchange points. They are all typically signed, BUT the cameras are not painted yellow as in UK. Everyone I have seen is forward facing.

I have been flashed a few times but never been chased up yet, so do not think they are enforcing it. But be warned.

As for the toll booth, they will not charge you but the police do have the right too if they happen to be there and also in the mood they can do you. They typically use the toll area's as tea-break areas so it will just be bad luck if they are having a break and trying to chat up the toll booth lady. I have gone thru tolls 40+ times and lets just say not many are below the limit.

If you are planning a long trip or being there, could be worth getting the toll system charging unit. that way you miss the queues and also, since toll booth will be on wrong side, then you will not have to rely on missus bashing the car door against wall.

Take safety kit, triangle, yellow jacket spare bulbs etc as that can lead to instant fine.

Make sure wife has driver lic with her. If you get nicked and they take your lic away, they will not let you carry on without proving the NEW driver has one.

Last piece of advice, see if you are out same time as Le Mans 24. If so the police will nick you at any given opportunity and you really do not want to argue with them.

But it is a great place, so enjoy.

We are going over in May and I am really looking forward to it!

What has anyone done about their headlights - I have got Xenons and I don't want to just put masking tape in the lenses? There is nothing in the handbook that shows how to adjust the beam....

Glen

cheers steve_b, great advice.

Glen, the father in law has told me you can get something called beam benders to put on the front of the car to fix the light issue. not exactly sure what they are but will check it out.

I dont think i would bother doing this on the xenon headlights. :thumbs:

Cannot find the bit about points transfered but here is good summary of fines.

Just to let you know it is not common getting caught but something you should weight up when taking a chance. (If you want to just go all out take it to Germany)

These are applicable to UK drivers caught in France (speeds are set at the amount over the limit):

* speeding at less than 20km/12mph - 68 euros plus 1 point or 135 euros plus 1 point if in a 50km zone

* speeding between 20km/12mph and 30km/19mph - 135 euros plus 2 points; licence suspension (normally only in France) up to 3 years.

* speeding between 30km/19mph and 40km/25mph - 135 euros plus 3 points; licence suspension (normally only in France) up to 3 years.

* speeding between 40km/25mph and 50km/31mph - 135 euros plus 4 points; licence suspension (normally only in France) up to 3 years. Significantly, your licence can also be confiscated on the spot.

* speeding over 50km/31mph - 1500 euros plus 6 points; licence suspension (normally only in France) up to 3 years. Significantly, your licence can also be confiscated on the spot.

* second offence over 50km - up to 3 months' jail, up to 3750 euros plus 6 points; licence suspension (normally only in France) up to 3 years

* the minimum fine is 45 euros if paid within 15 days and 180 euros if more than 45 days (maximum 450 euros if it goes to trial)

* the 135 euros fine is 90 euros if paid within 15 days and 375 euros if more than 45 days (maximum 750 euros if it goes to trial)

* if you are stopped by police / gendarmerie you have to pay the fine on the spot in cash, failing which the car will be impounded and you will be taken to the local police station. Your licence may be suspended for up to 14 days.

* if you are caught by a speed camera you will probably not be pursued for the fine or points but the penalties could be as shown above

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading this thread with some interest, so much so I have bitten the bullet and decided to do my very own Tour de France this weekend!!! :teeth:

Itinery so far:

Thursday - Leave home in Northampton, catch the ferry from Dover to Calais and head down through the Loire Valley.

Friday - Set off to see the Millau viaduct and then hang a left towards the Cote D'Azur!

Saturday - Spend the day taking in the sights around Monaco and doing my own lap of the GP circuit B)

Sunday - Nip accross into Italy (It would be rude to go all that way and not be able to say that I did it!), then head north to Grenoble up the famous N85 "Route Napoleon" to take in some of the best sights and experience the "best driving road in Europe"

Monday - "Missus' Birthday" Take her to Euro Disney to keep her happy. (No jokes please.....she is over 18 although you wouldn't think it sometimes! ;) )

Tuesday - Head home to Blighty.

Should be a pretty good trip although quite intense, a nice run in before the Wales meet the following weekend me thinks! ;)

I'd appreciate if you have any advice or recommendations regarding places to see along the way.

Cheers

I've been reading this thread with some interest, so much so I have bitten the bullet and decided to do my very own Tour de France this weekend!!! :teeth:

Itinery so far:

Thursday - Leave home in Northampton, catch the ferry from Dover to Calais and head down through the Loire Valley.

Friday - Set off to see the Millau viaduct and then hang a left towards the Cote D'Azur!

Saturday - Spend the day taking in the sights around Monaco and doing my own lap of the GP circuit B)

Sunday - Nip accross into Italy (It would be rude to go all that way and not be able to say that I did it!), then head north to Grenoble up the famous N85 "Route Napoleon" to take in some of the best sights and experience the "best driving road in Europe"

Monday - "Missus' Birthday" Take her to Euro Disney to keep her happy. (No jokes please.....she is over 18 although you wouldn't think it sometimes! ;) )

Should be a pretty good trip although quite intense, a nice run in before the Wales meet the following weekend me thinks! ;)

I'd appreciate if you have any advice or recommendations regarding places to see along the way.

Cheers

on the way down to the Millau bridge watch out for a sign to the town of Volvic (where the bottled mineral water comes from ) when i had a trip down to the bridge I made a detour to see where the water comes from , in the main square there is the spring from the source..has a sign on it saying not drinkable.. :teeth: .( forgot to take a photo :dry: )

Any more details on how / why French police can pass over points? Seems a bit crazy to me... how can I find more details?

Dont think they can do that, but they can get your address info to send you the payment instructions for the fine ;)

And that average speed thing is true. Happens regularly in summer-time when there are a lot of tourists. But it is not automatic. Cops just check the times at the toll booths. And i ve seen quite a few mobile speed camera's on the toll roads too. Fixed cameras always flash from the front, which is nice when riding a motorbike :yahoo:

Itinery so far:

Cheers

Thats quite a drive in the time you have :scare: