72,000 mile service (P3) shocker!

Neil

You know when you realise you had opened a can of worms and wish you hadn't looked in the first place? Well, today I was browsing the service history of my 56 plate and noticed the spark plugs need changing at 5 years or 54,000 miles.

Having always taken it to a Nissan garage I called them to confirm this had been done as I could not see anything on the service reports. The answer was 'No' and an apology followed.

So, I asked for a price for a P3 service, a spark plugs change and a coolant change (at their advice). The price is £630.00! £280 for the P3 (and I supply my own oil as usual), about £180 for the spark plug change (apparently they cost £114.00 without labour) and around £170 for the coolant change.

As the car is out of warranty now, I am thinking of change the plugs and coolant myself - how hard can it be ;)

Can anyone confirm this is an easy job (I know what a spanner is) and can you tell me what type of plugs I need along with the right coolant please?

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Neil,

The service on the 350 is very straight forward mate and if you are handy with the spanners then you will be fine.

The spark plug change albeit a bit fiddly is not rocket science and again you will be fine.

All service stuff in stock including all the correct fluids, the correct premix coolant and the correct plugs(£49.95) :thumbs:

Drop me a PM if I can help you further mate :thumbs:

Alex. :)

So...

Do I need a special coolant that has been passed by virgins? (£170.00 seems a lot to me).

The genuine Nissan Premix coolant is £21.12 for 5 litres.

I would recommend that this is what you use in your 350 :thumbs:

All in stock and good to go same/next day.

Alex. :)

Do it yourself. It isn't hard to do and if you get stuck there is plenty of help at hand on here to sort you out.

Just make sure you have a torque wrench to do the plugs up properly and it is also useful to have a magnetic plug socket and the plugs are quite deep into the engine.

The quotes from Nissan are crazy but I wonder if they are quoting you individual prices. E.g. £170 to do just the coolant. But if done with the plugs and oil then it should be a case of letting it drain whilst doing something else etc.

As soon as Nissan told me how much a spark plug change was and that it was extra to the P3 service I had a good laugh and told them I'd do it myself.

Hmmmmm, not sure about pooing a pineapple though :wacko::)

Spark plugs by Nissan I would say the quote is bout right

On the other hand....I changed my coolant the other day and it took about 20 minutes and £21 of pre mix

£170.....rather poo a pineapple