Finished My Electric Volume Adjustable Exhaust

Christian350z

Electric Volume Adjustable Exhaust B)

While my 350 was off getting a new clutch and flywheel i had a chance to mod my standard exhaust. This is how i did it, what is used and how it turned out. I'm not a fabricator, i just had a brief youtube tutorial on welding, anyone can do this but if your not very "hands on" you are better off taking it to a garage.

I don't know if anyone has done this before, i'm sure I'm not the first. (Aug 2012)

The Idea: to have a exhaust quiet when i'm leaving for work in the morning and loud for when i want to go on a drive. This meant i had to find a way of bypassing the mufflers on demand.

Parts Used: Standard exhaust, Metal pipe, 2 metal flanges, Grinder, Welder, Electronic Valve with switch and wires.

I started with my old standard exhaust, it was already off the car as i have an after market one on there already. If you attempt this you will have to take your exhaust off.

Pic of standard exhaust (not my pic, i forgot to take a shot before i started)

injenexhaustinstall3.jpg

This is the cut out valve that i ordered from eBay USA

IMG_0050.jpg

This is the Valve with flanges bolted onto it. I had to cut pipe to the right angles and then weld them onto the flanges. The cuts where done more or less by eye and i just kept offering it up to the exhaust to see if it fit into the correct area.

IMG_0062.jpg

This is where i was offering up the valve and newly made flanges to see that they would fit.

IMG_0059.jpg

Next i cut holes in the standard exhaust in the correct places, this was difficult as there was not much cases for a big grinder and i kept snapping my dermal grinning discs.

After the holes where cut i slipped the valve/flange setup into place and tacked it with the welder. once i new it was in the right place i took the valve out and continued to weld around the rest of the flange pipe. (my welding skills are shocking!)

IMG_0064.jpg

Here is a video of It finished (not yet on the car)

Here is a video of it driving past (Valve Open)

I let my mate drive the car while i took the video (he is not the best, please don't judge)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAC36YlBx-Y

My car has test pipes and Y pipe already so its louder than normal anyway.

I will try and get some better video's so compare the sound closed and shut when i next get the chance.

looks like you had your speed too high and you were moving to slowly, you got it to pool, but you didn;t move quick enough. did you drag the weld or push it?

can;t watch the vid as i don't have strong enough signal, but that looks a smart place to put it.

Husky did this to his exhaust but he put it off the Y pipe, it was so loud under the car it made ears bleed, and not in a nice way. the sound was great either.

exhausts are a bit like instruments put a hole in the wrong place you get a bum note. same as you can tune them with resonance chambers. but i like your idea of bypassing the rear muffler. means your not de tuning the exhaust just cutting a muffler out. and it keeps the flow straight. :thumbs:

Good work on that mate, no one is really going to see the welds so aslond as they are penetrative it'll be fine :thumbs:

As its being vented to one side only does it make the sound come out of the RH pipe only?

Its still comes out of each side but id say more comes out of the right hand side. (There is no difference in how dirty each tip gets either)

looks like you had your speed too high and you were moving to slowly, you got it to pool, but you didn;t move quick enough. did you drag the weld or push it?

can;t watch the vid as i don't have strong enough signal, but that looks a smart place to put it.

Husky did this to his exhaust but he put it off the Y pipe, it was so loud under the car it made ears bleed, and not in a nice way. the sound was great either.

exhausts are a bit like instruments put a hole in the wrong place you get a bum note. same as you can tune them with resonance chambers. but i like your idea of bypassing the rear muffler. means your not de tuning the exhaust just cutting a muffler out. and it keeps the flow straight. :thumbs:

I went for a cheep "stick" welder, which is not the right sort of welder for what i was doing but it did the job (i dragged it).

Rtbiscuit is right, exhaust is like an instrument^

I never would recommend doing a cutout under the car. any exhaust that finishes under car tends to sound bad and has reduced performance.

Looks and sounds pretty darn good! Need some more vids please, and if possible a dB rating with the valve closed and then open.

I do like the idea of that, im sure i can commission an exhaust welder to put something in for me!

Ill try and get some more vid's on the weekend if i have some time.

Everyone Please do go ahead and get this done if you like it, there is no such thing as a copycat, think of its as research and development.