Changing in car audio set up

BigSlick

Hi,

I will want to change/upgrade the in car audio for a simple but good quality set up. The models I'm finding in my budget and spec all have Sat Nav which I don't need or want. Ive read on the USA 370Z forum that if your car has the Nissan Sat Nav it cannot be removed or changed due to how it integrates with other electricals on the car... Is this correct?

Im not after making a huge install just a simple upgrade to head unit and speakers. I have a good search on the web and cannot find a definitive answer other than post on the USA forum.

Thanks

Bri :)

Not seen a single build thread from anyone with a 370z apart from someone who changed the sub, not seen a 370z with an aftermarket HU :shrug:

I must admit it would be one of the first things I changed if I had a 370z, the satnav & stereo do not look all that impressive to me :thumbsdown:

Working in IT and having a 370z with nav I can say that it wont be easy if at all possible to replace their system. The screen integrates the other controls such as heating and ICE.

What you can do is take the feed that comes from the HU/nav system and feed it to a new amp and speakers. There are a few build threads on www.the370z.com which do the same. Due to the odd impedance of the Bose system, I think there are only a few amps/processors that you can use and they arent cheap.

I did find the SQ got better if you sound deaden the car though as an easy upgrade.

Hmm.. Not looking so good then.

If I get a model with SatNav im stuck with the BOSE and the Nav which I dont want or need.

:(

Im not the type of guy who needs a SatNav but im also not 19 and wanting SUBs and huge speakers. I just want what I like...

A nice HU with some good quality speakers.

Ill have to keep digging. The post on the US forum said that the Nav integrates with a lot of the car electricals.

Search continues...

There is a good facia ive found and its made from same type of material, good match etc. Things like that arent a problem.

The problem is the Sat Nav and how its pretty much forms the brain of the car.

I think how its looking is ill be stuck with it....

I really hate Sat Nav in cars, I find it completely pointless. But so many love it as a great addition. Maybe im just odd!?

:dry:

There is a good facia ive found and its made from same type of material, good match etc. Things like that arent a problem.

The problem is the Sat Nav and how its pretty much forms the brain of the car.

I think how its looking is ill be stuck with it....

I really hate Sat Nav in cars, I find it completely pointless. But so many love it as a great addition. Maybe im just odd!?

:dry:

Do you drive around a lot looking lost when you go somewhere new :shrug:

Iv'e only ever driven a car with satnav so I feel a bit weird without it... I find it useful for speed cam spots, keeping speed in check and obviously finding my way to places I don't know :thumbs:

I dont, I really dont...

I have an iPhone and 'Maps' works a treat for when I need it.

I think I just drive on instinct and I know that sounds cheesy but I just never needed a Sat Nav.

I also dont drive like I stole it every where, dont really bother about speed cameras etc. Im sensible id like to say.

:)

Trouble is the 370z has not been popular so I can't see anyone bothering to make fascia's and looms for it, the US forums will be the place to keep an eye on though :thumbs:

You speak for yourself :yawn: I wouldn't taken any advice from SMD :stir: he can't even tell the difference between brown and a subtle shade of purple :p

Dont think the nav forms so much of the brain of the car, but it does give you feedback on things like temp selection, fan speed/position, etc. You *might* be able to unplug it and see if they still work, just without the feedback on the screen? Could try unplugging it and seeing what happens :shrug:

I think your best option will be to get an aftermarket processor and new speakers tbh. Wont be miles away from a decent HU and unless you are used to competition winning systems, I cant see you'll notice the difference either, especially if you are using the car properly ;)

• 2 weeks later...