No electronics working....

ddcboyle

So its not every electronic piece, but the speedo/rev/fuel unit and heating dials arent working.

Ive been told on the forum its down to the whie box area behind the gearstick cover. Ive taken it to military technician who cant find the solution either.

Basically, i start the car, the instruments work for few minutes then the fuse blows. I put in a new 10amp fuse and it blows after a few minutes again. Ive tried insulation taping it, still no luck.

The mil mechanic was going on about a relay or delay or something, anyone had this problem, or know a solution?

I dont fancy going to nissan and paying loads for something that could be done at less ripoff garage, and dont want to buy a new white box unless thats the only solution.

As far as im aware, the box still works, theres just something thats blowing fuse after few minutes.

sounds like it might be shorting out somewhere.

have you changed anything recently, or removed the dash etc before this problem started. you can usually atribute a lot of issues to the last thing you played with before it broke.

Its happened whilst ive been changing stereo, but im not sure if ive maybe ripped bit of the white box wire or the wires going into the back of the white box, or just something else that caused it to... Reset? Or something.

It seems to be shortcircuiting as a new fuse goes in, lasts a minimum of turning car on to blow or upto 5mins before it blows. People think its a relay, no idea wht that is though.

ADDED: might be worth mentioning cd player still works along with car lights etc, i know nothing about electronics but i would have presumed its either the white box, the thin tape looking wire connecting white box to the heater control unit, or a problem with the 3wires connecting the car mains (or whatvers deep behind console) to the back of the white box

I was thinking about removing the whole centre console once again but i still wouldnt know how to check it. The tape wire looks like its got a nic in it, tiniest thing ever on the edge of wire, but not sure how id go round checking if its that ir the jacks conncting white box to car. I got one of those fuse checker things but no idea how to work it or if it would even help me find the root of the shortcircuiting

• 3 weeks later...

After taking it to 4 garages and telling me its definetly a nissan job, no garage can do it. Mates dads friend was an auto electrician, 20mins and he said its the air filter box touching the cables, cut a hole in the box and everything now works. Air filter was K&N typhoon