Rear Brake Puzzle **UPDATE** P2

glrnet

Earlier this year my rear Nissan discs were changed for a set of DBA's and these were paired with Ferodo DS2500 Racing pads, I really didn't get on with these as they left unusually heavy deposits of rusty brown coloured dust on the wheels, I don't have any pictures but Chris S & Ebized agreed it was unusual when we did the Wales Recce earlier this year.

Anyway, as I don't track the car I decided to swap them for EBC red stuff pads, these were part worn and had been on the car with the original Nissan discs. Since these have been on the dust problem has gone but I have noticed that there are two areas of the disc that don't appear to be in contact with the pads. I'm pretty sure these weren't unevenly worn though. I don't have any issues with the front DBA's, these are Ferodo pads but not the DS2500 racing pads.

Are EBC red stuffs a different size or is there something more serious going on?

Would Ferodo FDS1562 be a better solution?

photo-24.jpg

photo-25.jpg

Thanks for your help guys :):thumbs:

Fitted EBC discs on rear about 5 weeks ago with Brembo pads,have got a line about 2mm wide on outer rim of disc but nothing on inner bit.On my old discs they have a lip of 2-3mm outer and inner.Would be tempted to have a look and double check pads.

Thanks bud, I think they'll be coming off in any event, just need to find out what to replace them with :)

@Zugs, why doesn't it happen on the fronts then :shrug:

Fitted EBC discs on rear about 5 weeks ago with Brembo pads,have got a line about 2mm wide on outer rim of disc but nothing on inner bit.On my old discs they have a lip of 2-3mm outer and inner.Would be tempted to have a look and double check pads.

Possibly a slight variation between EBC pads and Ferodo ones, certainly nothing I'd worry about unless they're different side to side. :)

Most pads don't cover the entire surface of the disc, but some do.

Which Ferodos are you running :)

Aside from what I think about EBC brakes, I think the dixcel pads seem to span my front discs and ferodos the rear just fine?

What about some dixcel or performance friction pads? Though the dixcel z rated pads are a bit dusty, but not that bad.

My rear performance friction have about 1mm of lip.

I'd potentially have the rears skimmed to remove the lips because, when you fit a larger pad it'll ride on the lips and you'll have minimal braking on the rear.

Ran my finger nail over it and so far no lip as far as I can tell, will have a closer look though, probably only done 2-3k since Wales :thumbs:

My rear performance friction have about 1mm of lip.

I'd potentially have the rears skimmed to remove the lips because, when you fit a larger pad it'll ride on the lips and you'll have minimal braking on the rear.

Are these the same size?:- Ferodo FDS1562

That'll be fine then, looks deeper in the pic.

I'd get back on the DS2500 again, I run them on the DBA with no problems. Must have been a funny batch?

Thanks again bud, that was how my rears started but they just seem to get progressively worse, it was a coating of dust like the colour of a clay tennis court :wacko: I think maybe I did have a part of a dodgy batch as it seems no one else has had anything like the same problem. :)

Ds2500's, after about 100 miles each week, the fronts are pretty dusty, the rears are okayish.

I'd get back on the DS2500 again, I run them on the DBA with no problems. Must have been a funny batch?

Not sure, I'd check with our resident expert.

Thanks again bud, that was how my rears started but they just seem to get progressively worse, it was a coating of dust like the colour of a clay tennis court :wacko: I think maybe I did have a part of a dodgy batch as it seems no one else has had anything like the same problem. :)

I've only ever seen any rust when it's been raining and the rust gets ground off, only a tiny bit even then, with some rust runs down the spokes :shrug: I am, however, running stoptech/centric discs at the rear and how the compound works in tandem with the disc is also probably a factor.

Very strange though. Either way it's a pain the the arris staying on top of polished wheels, only made slightly easier by keeping a coat or two of wax/sealant on them, gtechnic wheel armour is excellent on the painted faces though.

I asked SMD, he didn't know :shrug::lol:

Not sure, I'd check with our resident expert.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got round to changing these and I discovered that these EBC Reds were indeed smaller than both the Ferodo racing pads and the Ferodo's I replaced the EBC's with, Ferodo FDS1562's. :wacko: See the pictures below, I've been out for a test run and the new pads clearly sweep the whole surface of the disc. :thumbs:

Not a ground shattering discovery I grant you but for those who want even wear across all the disc this might be worth keeping in mind. For reference the EBC Reds were purchased from POTN.com

photo-26.jpg

photo-27.jpg

Ds2500's, after about 100 miles each week, the fronts are pretty dusty, the rears are okayish.

They are deffo a dusty pad. They are a good pad but I think they lack feel as stupid as that sounds.