dremels??

theheff

guys I'm looking at a dremel, want it to help with the tight areas of surface rust in my van project, plus ill possibly need it to get my rear drop links off, plus I'm sure ill find loads of over things to use it for.

those of you with them, did you go for wired or wireless and did you find you'd have been better off with the other?

I'm looking at it along the lines of if i had the wired one ill be cursing the bastard wire vein in the way, but having the wireless one id have to keep charging it.

wired one (dremel 3000) is about £60 with the flexi, the wireless one (dremel 8200) is about £95 without the flexi.

I'd get a wired one mate, I have the dremel 8200 cordless and it really only lasts an hour or so of decent work and then takes at least an hour to recharge. It's also really back-heavy because of the battery. Really not sure why i didn't just get the wired one but it seemed a good idea at the time :shrug:

DB

Dremel :thumbdown: are crap don't waste your money on one unless it's a tool that will be rarely used I have been playing with R/C stuff for over 20 years and have got through loads of Dremels mainly the bearing in the shaft wears out and they vibrate not good for very small drill bits or precision work.

Pay a bit more and buy a Proxxon there German made and of a higher quility since I bought mine some 8 years ago it's been faultless :thumbs:

http://www.proxxon-direct.com/acatalog/ ... r_ibe.html

http://www.proxxon-direct.com/?gclid=CK ... tAodK24cRg

by the time I've added the flexi, which i will need, it comes in at nearly £120. thats double the dremel. it will be used on and off really so think the dremel will be alright.

there are some smaller proton ones on ebay but without having read about them they seem like they'll be more suited to delicate stuff like your r/c stuff.

Just buy one of the bargain dremmel knock-offs that they sell. Aldi are selling one this week for £12!

I bought a £20 dremmel knockoff from Wolworths about 6 years ago, and it's still going strong (and it came with a flexi adapter). Probably had maybe 20 hours solid use out of it during that time.

For drop links and areas of rust however, you're better off with an angle grinder than a dremmel... you'll be there all day.

Agree with Marzman and Ace on this, either buy a cheapy cheapy one and expect to replace it fairly quickly, or buy a really good one and stick with it for life. :)

Definitely stick with wired though, dremels aren't much cop on the really big stuff and if you do need to use it outside you can always run an extension cable. :thumbs:

I agree, if you think your going to be cutting off rusty nuts and bolts on the car with a Dremel forget it, go to Selco builders merchants there selling 3" angle grinders for a tenner at the moment.