Help Needed..... Why did I start this job!

OllyB

Hi all

Need some help, I had a day of nothing to do so I thought I'd fit the brake lines that I haven't had time to do yet.

Rear lines changed no probs!

Get round the front and I round of the 12mm nut holding the hose onto the shock absorber bracket, crap.....

So I get a set of mole grips onto the nut and after a bit of swearing, the nuts off. At this point I thought it would be a good idea to try the nuts on the other side and, you guessed it, rounded the exact same nut, this is even after soaking them in penetrating fluid all morning and cleaning the exposed threads up with a wire brush! Trouble is this time the mole grips wouldn't shift it and mullered the nut even more.

It was at this point I should have stopped and started again tomorrow, however, I thought I may as well finish the other side and deal with the rounded nut later, so I remove the old hose, start fitting the new one and promptly strip the thread on the compression fitting on the hard pipe!

I'm now a bit stuck, brake fluid dripping out of the hard pipe, slowly emptying the reservoir, and I cant get either the new hose or old hose to bite correctly, cleaned up the start of the tread and still just wants to strip itself. So I've fitted a bit of rubber tube to the hard pipe end and clamped this to stem the flow of brake fluid but what now, I need some rationalisation because all I can think is new hard pipe..

Any suggestions of a way forward would be welcomed.

Thanks

Olly

I would check the threads and if possible file a "leading edge" to the first thread on the pipe. This may help it screw correctly together.

Secondly, are the male and female threads the same. One might be metric one might be imperial of some fancy size only produced by the manufacturer.

It the female thread OK, check to see if the thread has started to "peel" away, Again I would pick out any thread you can see, if any.

Failing that, looks like your on your bike on monday.... :lol:

If you have a flaring tool you may get away with just a new nut.

However I would think the pipe is probably bad at the end - you should be able to get a new short piece made up with the correct end nut - you still need the tool to add a connector in slightly higher up.

Otherwise it's a new complete pipe and that would be fun to take out with the engine in - I had fun with the engine out :)

Zugara - The thread on the new hose looks fine, thankfully. You might be right about the bike monday, I've got a focus derv that i use daily but I think this has a leak in one of the induction hoses, booked it in this morning ( its under warrenty ), doing work on my other working car probably wasnt the best idea! :doh:

Keyser - It's the drivers side so doesn't look too bad to replace ( although I may be delusional at the moment ). I hadn't thought of just replacing a small section of pipe and fitting a coupling, that might be a solution.

Thanks for the responses

Keyser - It's the drivers side so doesn't look too bad to replace ( although I may be delusional at the moment ). I hadn't thought of just replacing a small section of pipe and fitting a coupling, that might be a solution.

Thanks for the responses

Your in with a chance then :)

Good luck which ever way you go :thumbs:

Think I'll be going for the replace a small section option, pm'd Zmanalex and as usual everything is in stock ready to go, just need to get a flaring tool, think this could get messy!

I'll see if I can sort the other side tomorrow, if all else fails I could go for the robin reliant conversion, although I think the handling may suffer!

I stand corrected!

Update:

The passenger side is sorted.

Started off trying a nut splitter but couldn't get the necessary purchase on the nut so out came the Dremmel and 7 or 8 cutting wheels later:

IMAG0006.jpg

Its not pretty but its in its original place and solid so I'm happy, I'll give the bracket a lick of Hammerite to stop it rusting when I've fixed the drivers side and bleed the lines.