Front Bumper/Wing Predicament

josh2005

Hey everyone, bit of a newbie here!

I have a 2004 Azure 350z and have a couple of issues and am unsure how to sort it!

At some point in its life my Z has had a new front bumper put on, unfortunately it was replaced with one which doesn't have xenon washers! I believe come MOT time this will now mean the will fail it's MOT! I didn't know how easy it is to either retrofit some to a bumper or even put a new bumper onto the car.

If I am needing a new bumper I would prefer to upgrade to the 06+ front end but would the different bumper fit onto my 2004 model? I am happy to have the car sprayed it is just which option to use! Obviously if there is no option but to replace with an 04 bumper I will bite the bullet, I hate to think of the cost though! Thanks in advance!

As above, the bumpers will fit. I would however check that the parts required to operate the washers are still in situ or are at least available to fit onto a new bumper, I'm thinking here that some of the mechanism, mainly the washers themselves will have been removed to fit the bumper that's on your car now :shrug:

Pete

Thanks for the replies, that's great news!

Is there ever any problems with things like the lights not lining up with the bumper or the fitting brackets not matching or is it a direct fit replacement?

Also are the washers again just plug and play or are the 06> versions different with wiring/piping etc?

Don't take this as gospel, but I think the MoT regulations on headlight washers states that they have to be operational if the car is fitted with them. Since your car isn't currently fitted with washer jets, technically you don't have to have them. But I guess that all depends on who does you MoT, though.

Don't take this as gospel, but I think the MoT regulations on headlight washers states that they have to be operational if the car is fitted with them. Since your car isn't currently fitted with washer jets, technically you don't have to have them. But I guess that all depends on who does you MoT, though.

I think you'll find it says that they have to be present and operational if they were fitted as standard when the car left the factory.

I think you'll find it says that they have to be present and operational if they were fitted as standard when the car left the factory.

OK, thanks for clearing that up :)

• 1 month later...

OK, thanks for clearing that up :)

i think you will find that if they are not there they are not tested there for don't need to work, regardless of them being fitted from the factory

same goes for the rear whiper , but then again its down to the tester but how do you test something that isnt there

• 4 weeks later...

i think you will find that if they are not there they are not tested there for don't need to work, regardless of them being fitted from the factory

same goes for the rear whiper , but then again its down to the tester but how do you test something that isnt there

As I've said above, they must be present and working:

3. High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, washing and levelling system

To keep the test up to date with modern technology, new checks have been added in respect of High Intensity Discharge (HID) and Light Emitting Diode (LED) lamps.

Compared with halogen headlamps, HID lamps are more efficient, have a longer service life and are much brighter; up to three times brighter in fact. The benefit of this extra brightness is that it enables drivers using HID lights to see approximately 30% further up the road ahead than for a halogen system.

The downside of this extra brightness is the potential to cause excessive dazzle to oncoming traffic. To combat this, HID headlamps often have advanced electronics that control the shape of the headlamp beam to avoid dazzle when the car climbs or descends hills and likewise when the vehicle is accelerating or braking.

Dazzle can also be caused if the lamps are dirty or aimed too high due to, for example, carrying rear seat passengers and/or heavy items in the boot. Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems.

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective this will be a reason for rejection.

Source: http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/customer-inf ... s-2010.pdf