How many of you use a second car?

nixy

Second car? The zed is for driving!!! Why keep the mile low for someone else benefit!!!

I couldn't agree more! Why spare your Z for the next owner? It's such a great car to drive with and it looks so damn good!

Me too. The car will lose the best part of 50% over three years whether you drive it or not. I can't see the point of spending most of that time driving a crock.

Another reason i have a second car is the fact that i work at a very dirty place...very dusty when dry....very muddy when wet..... site exhaust systems throwing out acidic fumes..... and also the fact on one occassion i had a 38 tonner reverse into my last car. No thanks the zed is for my enjoyment not for my companys abuse. The crock i drive to work fits the bill just nicely. :thumbs:

Second car? The zed is for driving!!! Why keep the mile low for someone else benefit!!!

I couldn't agree more! Why spare your Z for the next owner?

I'm unlikely to replace the car as after paying for it I moved house and took on a much bigger mortgage as an investment for the future.

I will have the car for as long as I want it so by keeping the miles low, hopefully that will be for a long time to come.

I'm unlikely to replace the car as after paying for it I moved house and took on a much bigger mortgage as an investment for the future.

I will have the car for as long as I want it so by keeping the miles low, hopefully that will be for a long time to come.

That doesnt make sense. You buy a car to keep it for a lengthy period of time yet you drive another car to keep the miles down? The only benefit of keeping the miles down is for resale value but as that not an issue why drive another car. These cars are good for about 20 yrs worth of driving!!!

That doesnt make sense. You buy a car to keep it for a lengthy period of time yet you drive another car to keep the miles down? The only benefit of keeping the miles down is for resale value but as that not an issue why drive another car. These cars are good for about 20 yrs worth of driving!!!

At 15,000 average miles pa that would make it 300,000 miles after 20 years. Can't see a Zed lasting to that mileage, whereas 5k per annum it should.

At 15,000 average miles pa that would make it 300,000 miles after 20 years. Can't see a Zed lasting to that mileage, whereas 5k per annum it should.

Who said 15k is average? He also may only not keep it for 20 yrs.

Stop it girls. And eitherway, if it is looked after, im sure it can do 300,000 miles.

personally i walk to the station and get the train to work, so the car is a social car for me. Keeps mileage down and keeps resale up ;)

Stop it girls. And eitherway, if it is looked after, im sure it can do 300,000 miles.

personally i walk to the station and get the train to work, so the car is a social car for me. Keeps mileage down and keeps resale up ;)

I agree. A second car is a viable solution if your gonna move the car on in 2/3 yrs :thumbs:

I agree. A second car is a viable solution if your gonna move the car on in 2/3 yrs :thumbs:

That i do actually agree on, or if you have money and can afford a nice weekend car and a sensible weekday/family car

That i do actually agree on, or if you have money and can afford a nice weekend car and a sensible weekday/family car

Also if you add up the cost of puchasing the second car, additional tax, mot, insurance, services etc surely there ain't much in it. Just drive the zed!

Mine is my main car. Luckly I live fairly close to work so its not that far a commute. So far I have done just over 5K i the last 8 months. Looking around at whats on the market at the moment (thankfully not a lot of black ones so mine is holding value) I would say the average Z millage is around 8K/year but its because there are quite a few 2nd car ones which have done 4/5K a year and then the other group which have not a more normal 12K/year

I 'thought' about a second car but in the end it was not worth it as the cost of a) the cost of the 2nd car (even if its only a 1/2K car) + Cost of insuring it as a second car was not really that much different to the amount I would save on the value of the Z holding. I would probably only put on 3/4K at most onto the Z if I did that.

There are definatly scenarios where a 2nd car is sensible, specially if you do a long drive to work.

My issue was never really that much about the car losing value (although it is a fair point) but more about bad weather driving.
I used my zed over winter and in the rain (never snow as i hate snow driving as it makes the car too dirty, lol) and it has been fine for me.

Have you been for a test drive yet?

believe it or not - no. I don't think i've ever test driven a car unless it's the one I'm actually buying. I can't imagine I'll hate it - if anyone wants to bring their car over for me to have a go I won't say no!

I do at least 20k miles pa - so keep the car for 10 years and that's 200k.

I can see the bills with that mileage as well as massive fuel bills.

There's also times where you go places that you wouldn't want to leave a Z parked on the street, sometimes overnight as it's likely to be vandalised where a normal everyday Clio doesn't get noticed.

Then there's days that you need more than 2 seats.

Plenty of reasons to run a 2nd car.