Caterham 7

choptop

Have been toying with this idea for a couple of years now but have decided to get a Caterham 7 for track days. Do not know much about them (at the moment). Does anyone have first hand experience of owning one?

Does anyone have/know of one for sale? Want something I can get my hands dirty with so not too worried about the mechanical side at all if the price is right :thumbs:

Know very little about the cars at the moment. Have just had a look on the Lotus sevens website.

Budget: As little as possible. I do not mind buying a real shed as long as the price is right. I will restore it over the Winter months. Bike engine ones not for me. Something with a pinto engine in it and cheap spare parts. I am not going to spend a fortune on it. I have the zed to absorb my money :lol:

Caterhams won't come cheap. Lad i work with paid 15k for his and they go a lot higher.

If you are after a lotus 7 style car then there are loads of manufacturers. Westfield have been mentioned, Tiger sportscars etc... Look on some kit car websites, this may help you make your mind up, but even a crappy caterham will probably be 7 or 8k plus. You could probably pick up a Tiger 6 or Avon for 3-4k.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=446

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=107

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=39

Thanks for the info and advice everyone :thumbs: .

The ones on Pistonheads are out of my league. There is no way I am spending that sort of money. I will find something. Not in any hurrry so will wait for the right one to come along. Need to find out more about the car so will go along to the next local meet up of the Lotus Seven Cub.

Ive owned a caterham 7 mine was an early model with a pinto 1.6 engine. great little car but quite a narrow body, i have since had 2 robin hoods one with a 2ltr pinto and the later one with a red top engine, the hood is a better bet and you can buy one quite cheap, it is a wider body built on mostly siera running gear, the options for carbs are quite large too my 2ltr had twin 45s a lot are running bike carbs now which are fantastic.

BARGAIN

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Robin-Hood-S7 ... 3f191dc9e4

I had an 155 superlight for a short while a few years back :teeth:

1word FUN

FE3G3039.jpg

But you will want a 4x4 & a trailer if you want to really enjoy it. On the road there a pain, the roof breaks the windscreen when you put it up & you sweat your doodars off driving it on the road

Once my house purchase goes through I'll be getting a Westfied if i have any spare cash. You can pick one up in reasonable nick for £5k, or get something in really good nick for £10k. While ideally I would prefer a Caterham you get a lot more bang for your buck with a Westfield.....

I raced this Caterham for 3 seasons. K-Series, 150bhp (which was the limit for Mega class in Caterham Graduate series).

I then sold it through the tech team that supported the race teams. They sold it to a chap (after re-fitting lights etc) who wanted a fully sorted car for track days, and with the race extras, eg. proper seat, fia roll cage, full harness, straight cut box, plumbed fire extinguisher etc etc... many of the Mega class are built on a road car, with non-essentials removed - so it's easy to put back on the road.

Have a look at what McMillan Motor Sport have for sale, and the Graduates Series web site... ex-race cars are cheaper than road cars, as they will have a few scratches, but buy the right one and you will have a very reliable track day car... mine has been giving very good service to the current owner.