EBC + Cosworth pads = problems

the businessman

I purchased EBC Ultimax Discs, and those new Cosworth Street Master pads, I will never do so again lol. Cosworth claim there pads were created to match up to the DS2500s. When stopping from high speed I noticed something i had never seen before, smoke and a burning smell, this was after careful run in. Same speeds, same road never brought on such horrors from the stock disk pad combo from Nissan!

So I sat there at the junction with blue smoke literally pouring from both front arches. Blue disks too. Perhaps the disks don't have enough carbon content crap disks? perhaps the pads are counterfeit as some are, or perhaps they are just crap ?? god knows but this new combo has been rubbish over the last 8 months, spongy, vague and when breaking from high speed, rotor slot noise grows louder and louder as you slow down and the disks heat up, perhaps this is typical of slotted rotors not sure never had them before.

Just thought i would share that with you and wonder if you have heard anything along the same lines from others?

Im due a new set of pads this week, thinking of Performance Friction Or going back to the trusty Nissan 350z OEM pads. Once had DS2500s, they were about the same as the Nissan OEM in all honestly, but cheaper, yet they were more dusty. My greatest fear, counterfeit items that even the reseller carnt tell are counterfeit untill someone dies of course. how do we avoid them.

First mistake was ebc discs. They're junk.

Second mistake was that ds2500's are far far superior to oem pads but on here much more expensive. Oem pads are cheap, ds2500 are about 200 for front and rear.

The blue smoke is because you have over heated your pads and discs. Blue discs are fine. This will happen when you have hot brakes. Blue smoke does happen but it's down to not allowing brakes to cool down before stopping. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless there is flames. The cosworth pads are probably pretty good but the discs are terrible tbh.

Pm zmanalex for decent discs, ie DBA or performance friction.

Edit... Beat me to it!

Thanks, im engaging with them now, hope to get a good deal ;)

Oh yes, lol clearly i made some mistakes :headhurt: thanks for the info on the EBC disks, was wondering, as back then some folks said there were good. Clearly not.

I don't find Rotor noise intrusive as such, noticeable but not overly. Certainly, after reading around I have noted a few people have said that the Street master range from Cosworth are to be considered to be in an entirely lower 'league' than DS2500 or PF etc. So i'm hoping better pads will help resolve this. When it comes to it, it will be DBA or Stoptech disks next. I think PF, whist probably the best, may be overkill and prove too expensive as I don't do track myself.

We hear of all these counterfeit products coming into the UK that are visually so convincing that it is very difficult for even the experienced wholesalers to tell the difference. Is there a system in place where these items can be tracked to source, Like there is in the food industry?

Stick to traders on here and you won't go wrong. Far cheaper than other supplier also :thumbs:

I've never heard of anybody using cosworth pads tbh. Ebc yellowstuff pads are what I use day to day for spirited runs and they are great. Used them on track also and they have been great also. Ebc bluestuff pads were amazing track pads but need to be warmed up to work. Ebc discs have a very poor rep on the 350z

Personally, I think any ebc products are tripe, after the pads I had which crumbled and had no initial bite, lots of vibration with some heat in them and quite a few pictures i've seen of them shearing the pad from the backing plate.

Grooved discs are a bit noisier (i notice it on the dixcel fcr slotted discs).

I think the biggest complaint on ebc discs has been the number with wayyy too much runout.

You bought cheap ebc discs and cheap pads, seems like a bad idea to me.

Pfc discs and pads is a combo i'd love, but tbh, dixcel make some very good pads and discs, the stoptech discs are ok (they're actually just chinese rebranded discs in the case of the non aerorotors iirc), ferodo ds2500s are good too, got them on the rear.

There's no way i'd go back to oem, they're really spongy compared to dixcel and ferodo. Pfc may be overkill for a non track car though.

I have cosworth pads on and never seen this. But i have dba discs. I cant see cosworth allowing their name to be used on a substandard product even if they are just cosworth branded.

Sounds very odd.

I have cosworth pads on and never seen this. But i have dba discs. I cant see cosworth allowing their name to be used on a substandard product even if they are just cosworth branded.

Sounds very odd.

Cosworth do not manufacture brake pads. ;)

Sounds very odd.

Cosworth do not manufacture brake pads. ;)

I didnt think they did but i would have thought given they have a brand reputation to protect they wouldn't be stupid and use cheapo pads.

The Cosworth pads were £10 cheaper than the ds2500 at the time, i now notice they are more expensive. Main choice for them was the claim of exceeding the performance of the DS2500 pads, whilst less dust. They came with inclusive rubber shim plates, such as the OEM Brembos. My local Nissan garage "dont recommend placing copper grease on the back of the plates, for the rubber coating beds into the piston and seats itself whilst on the pad side, the rubber amalgamates with the back of the pad. negating the need to grease the backs" however they do carefully grease the rim of the pads where they make contact with the bembo calliper receiving slips and the pinion on top and bottom so the pad glides in and out on the stainless steel runners and slips if you will.

After the OEM setup, I then fitted DS2500 and kept the OEM disks, good setup, no problems just dust. After that and once the disks were gone, I replaced disks with the EBC ones and went for these Cosworth pads, only to suffer the smoking arches, fade, spongy and vague break feel and stopping or slowing to 40 from 100mph is pretty dreadful.

As you approach 60 and below from aprx 90mph, they begin to raw as you start to hear the groves on the disks, that's ok and probably normal behaviour for any slotted rotor by the sound of things, but then the pads begin to fade almost to the point of not working. have to say, this never happened with the previous set-up, even from 155mph on a test run i recall

:scare: .

They do appear to be a little less dusty however, also its not the kind of dust that 'melts' to the alloys and is very hard to remove without caustic cleaners, which is something that I did experience when using the DS2500. If i was to do a proper track day on the other hand, the fade and heat build up is so bad that my bet is that there would be a catastrophic failure.

Not sure if these problems are due to the disk not being able to dissipate its heat effectively due to poor vane design or low carbon etc, I have no idea. Perhaps the pads simply have poor purchase on the disk surface, requiring me to put more pressure into the system and thus creating excessive heat, not being an engineer I would not like to say, but I can say the set up is not up to the demands of 300 bhp car as the performance is worse than OEM for sure. So since these products are operating below what Nissan deem appropriate for safety and performance, its surprising thy get away with stating things like 'better than oem' and giving them product numbers relevant for a 350z which they are clearly unsuited for. :rant: dam it ! Anyway off to get new pads for now see how that goes. thanks for your views, very helpful.

So since these products are operating below what Nissan deem appropriate for safety and performance, its surprising there are no regulations on marketing these products as 'better than oem' and giving them product numbers relevant for a 350z. Clearly not true. :rant: dam them ! Anyway off to get new pads for now see how that goes.

I think ferodos are reg 90 compliant, but i'm really not sure how significant that is.

Personally, I wonder whether you'll still have issues with the ebc discs.

Fair point on regulation 90 , but after reading about it I find it means a brake product can still be anywhere within +/-15% of an OEM part, just feels like this falls into the category of being a weasel word, invented for marketing. It should be 'at least equals or exceeds' the specification of an OEM part. Well I suppose in the least you have the piece of mind that the product might be as good as OEM or might not be, it may even be 15% worse, it could be better, who knows. Or perhaps the product is more than 15% better, well then its not reg 90, but neither is the one that's less than 15%. Hummm, these advertising folks ah, who'd give em food and water ? :dry: