Spray painting

ddcboyle

Ive always had the idea that spraypainting your car was bad joo joo unless you went to garage or ex sprayer. But it seems ALOT of people are spraying things themselves these days.

Is it hard procedure? And is it manageable for a guy with no experiance to do?

Ive started vinyl wrapping my car which i was told was difficult but seem to be quite alright at it. So is spraying the same "difficult" or a world of tears

Well, it depends, the biggest reason to take the car to a bodyshop is that the paint gets baked so is harder than you can achieve at home. You simply can't do this at home unless you have a garage sized oven.

I did some painting of interior bits last year and as long as you take your time and rub down with 2000 grit wet and dry between coats, and ensure each coat is clean (harder than you think due to static) then its easy.

However, for colour match and paint longevity I'd go to a bodyshop.

Whys lacquering such an 'art form'? Surely its just even coats?

its not so bad on small parts, but laquer does funny things. if you're to fast you get orange peel or dusting, to slow and you get horrible runs. i know you can get runs in paint, but laquer seems to have a mind of its own, you need to know where you want to start and finish so you don't go over the same spot twice etc.

Agreed :thumbs:

Finding the right balance of too much or too little takes a little getting used to. I lacquer the polished strut bars that I do, and I apply 2 coats and the second coat is harder than the first as the lacquer settles differently from the first application.

Once the air temperature is above 25 degrees, you have a very clean environment, adequate compressor (you want a compressor that can maintain its pressure whilst spraying). You would also want a water filter on your compressor, and a half decent spray gun. Also, extraction and ventilation is a key if you're doing a lot of spraying.

Then it's just down to technique of applying the paint and lacquer on. There are some good guides for beginners on you tube.

Would it still be recognisable if doing it on the interior centre console?

They should have courses in the military to teach me this stuff, means i could enjoy my weekend instead of dying a little more in my room lol

I re-sprayed a centre console but I didn't want a gloss finish and just left as it was, if you do wan it glossy then ya centre console is easy enough, worse case you end up sanding it back and having to re-spray / lacquer

• 2 weeks later...

Home spraying is possible on small items definitely, just don't try any big panels. Iv done training on both solvent 2k and water based paints with PPG a lot of it is down to spray gun setup and cleanliness as it is technique, and lacquering is definitely a bit of an art form to get a good finish that doesn't need flating and polishing

These are my wheels I did earlier in the year (with the benefit of an oven)

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=62461