How to - DIY Cold Air Intake - CAI

Sam Mcgoo

This is primarily for fitting to a Vortech Supercharger, but I don't see why it can't be used for an N/A car. You would just need to adjust the pipe and tube sizes accordingly.

I've been meaning to get around to this for a long time now but had other priorities. Seeing Darren-B’s version a few weeks back spurred me on a bit to get on and do it.

Standard Votech Intake setup sucking in lots of hot air from the engine bay :thumbdown: –

IMAG0234.jpg

Parts needed –

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270867577918? ... 1126wt_905

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330578234226? ... 750wt_1037

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330382578130? ... 442wt_1037

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270925388819? ... 1102wt_905

A suitable Air filter – I’ve used a K&N RX 4140 – Plenty of flow, quite narrow and has the same diameter as the Vortech intake. So if you ever remove the CAI you can fit the filter straight on the Supercharger.

IMAG0254.jpg

For the passenger side Cam cover vent (this usually goes into the Vortech filter) I’ve used a K&N 62-1340. Does the job and looks cool.

IMAG0237.jpg

So first remove the Bumper using Slimjim’s guide here –

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50186&hilit=bumper+removal

It’s not necessary to go as far as removing the washer jets as you can just lower it down out the way and rest it on something suitable.

IMAG0249.jpg

Remove the original filter from the Supercharger by removing the Jubilee clip. Pull out the Cam Cover Vent pipe from the filter. (can be seen on the lower right)

You then have to squash the filter enough to squeeze it out of the small gap above. Or you can remove the Supercharger if you don’t want to damage it! :wacko:

IMAG0235.jpg

So this is the hole we are gonna put the piping through. As you can see, the top bumper mounting bracket will get in the way.

IMAG0248.jpg

So remove that (10mm bolt) to give some more room.

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

You can see clearly now where it’s going to go.

The Vortech doesn't line up exactly with the intake hole and the 90mm pipe is a very tight fit through the square hole so a little filing is needed to widen it up a few mm. Also take a couple of mm of the side of the radiator to make life a bit easier and stop the sharp edges cutting through your pipework.

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0253.jpg

Right, the time consuming part of this was working out lengths to cut and trial fitting the hose and pipe so it fits well and still allows you to get to the jubilee clips for tightening once its all assembled. :bang:

So just for you - this is my fag packet sketch showing what lengths worked for me. ;)

IMAG0269.jpg

Note the angled cut on the hose that joins the Supercharger, this is to give the the right angle to still allow the hose to go on to the charger square.

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg

When fitting ensure the Jubilee clips are around the 2'o'clock position and facing upwards so you can slide them though the corner of the hole and still adjust them.

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

Filter attached -

IMAG0261.jpg

The 90deg hose stopped the bumper bracket going back on without doing damage to the hose and rubbing through it. So it was offered up, marked and cut/filed to stop it rubbing when fitted.

IMAG0260.jpg

Sorry no pics of the alterations. But here is once it was fitted back on.

IMAG0266.jpg

Next was to fit and secure the breather filter to the hose removed earlier -

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

All done -

IMAG0266.jpg

Fit bumper back on -

And cooling panel (if you have one)

IMAG0268.jpg

All done. The filter sits above the intercooler, behind the crash bar so should stay out of the rain and spray but still suck in some nice cold air.

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

:)

heat soak isnt really an issue on intercooled cars so cant see it making a huge difference

Not expecting a huge difference, but should help quite a bit from standstill, when there is no cool air flowing up into the small hole in front of the Vortech. When at standstill and crawling in traffic the Standard filter location can only suck air in from the hot engine bay.

I'm not expecting power gains once motoring along as the intercooler should be doing its job then, but do think it's improved pickup/ response from stand still.

Be careful with this "conversion" Sam as non reinforced silicone pipework has a habit of collapsing due to the increase in suction. :thumbs:

Alex :)

Ok, Alex I'll keep a close eye on things. :thumbs:

It is fairly stiff stuff and only short lengths between supports. The only bit long enough to 'collapse' is the 90 deg bend. I don't think it would collapse unless the filter were to clog. But maybe I will put a support tube inside the bend to be sure.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Be careful with this "conversion" Sam as non reinforced silicone pipework has a habit of collapsing due to the increase in suction. :thumbs:

Ok, Alex I'll keep a close eye on things. :thumbs:

It is fairly stiff stuff and only short lengths between supports. The only bit long enough to 'collapse' is the 90 deg bend. I don't think it would collapse unless the filter were to clog. But maybe I will put a support tube inside the bend to be sure.

Thanks for the heads up :)

The 90 deg bend is the hose that I was referring to mate :thumbs:

I only mention it as I had the "collapsing" issue with an ATI C2 supercharger kit that I once ran on a Zed.

The problem is that you may not know that it is actually "collapsing".

I spotted mine on a dyno run.