Nissan service and quote of £2900! & Paint Mopping

Lee-Bmth

Hey All,

So my beloved JDM I picked up a few months ago (Tarmacs old beast) which still loving, took it to Nissan for a minor service which I'll never do again (which is silly considering I've serviced old cars in past) but always nice to have a stamp!

The bill was £390 for what was an oil change and a long list of "oh god, what have you bought, you have to do the following" .. and wow, that price list came to £2900 lol.. Anyway, it was things like

- 4 x Tyres

- New Rocker Gasket due to oil leak

- New JDM Battery

- Undertray hanging and needs reviewing

- New front brake pads/discs

- New Rear brake pads, and rear caliper binding

- Tracking off

- Two side lights replacements needed

- Main light not working

- Spare wheel holder snapped and glued back, needs reviewing

- Spring within Clutch Assembly needs replacing (due to heavy heavy clutch)

It goes on and on.. anyway, I've sorted out:

Tyres, Tracking, Battery, Undertray, Rewelded Spare Wheel Holder, side lights and main light... all good :)

Ill speak to ZMan for the Rocker Gasket and brake pads/discs.

Then he went onto say the paint work on drivers door looks bad, I've never noticed to be honest, the front bumper could do with a respray as could the rear, all stuff I knew about and talked to pervious owner about, so all cool. But Nissan reckon the drivers door needs "Mopping"? I've never seen this , is it hard to do, it's only in certain light I can see what they're on about, but man do they go over the top at Nissan! They make you feel like you're driving a car thats about to explode. And to be fair all the stuff above, is mainly service items, and I've sourced parts a HELL of a lot cheaper! lol.

But Nissan reckon the drivers door needs "Mopping"? I've never seen this , is it hard to do, it's only in certain light I can see what they're on about, but man do they go over the top at Nissan!

MOP is basically a hand held polisher that they can use to remove blemishes and gets the paint back to a mirror like finish. Not hard to do at all and if you're lucky there will be a member in your area who can help. TBH though you'll want the whole car doing not just the door otherwise it will be a lot shinier than the rest!

You can get a Dual Action polisher and assorted bits for around £100 which would get you going, but sure there is a member somewhere near by with one in which case you can get it done for beer/biscuit tokens ;)

Garages always do this kind of thing and id take what they say with a pinch of salt. Its kind of how they justify the expensive price for what was just a £4 oil filter and £30 of oil service. They add onto it a 200 point check, to imply they have done a lot of work.

Luckily you seem to not have fallen for it, but it does make you wonder how many customers would say "oh well, you had better do the work".

- 4 x Tyres - no arguing with that one really, you dont have to use OE fitment though

- New Rocker Gasket due to oil leak - buttons, easy to fit

- New JDM Battery - get a UK battery, last one I got cost me £40 IIRC

- Undertray hanging and needs reviewing - rip the bastard off

- New front brake pads/discs - fitting these is fairly easy yourself, pads are REALLY simple

- New Rear brake pads, and rear caliper binding - again, 2 minutes to do pads

- Tracking off - are they laser aligning it? If not, this is £20 tops

- Two side lights replacements needed - cost of bulbs

- Main light not working - cost of bulb

- Spare wheel holder snapped and glued back, needs reviewing - if its glued then its not moving ........... right?

- Spring within Clutch Assembly needs replacing (due to heavy heavy clutch) - doubt its just the spring myself

MOPping you can do yourself, or get a valeter/detailer to do it. I personally wouldnt let Nissan near my paint :stir:

Awesome stuff, thanks for the feed back, sounds like the "mopping" job is best left for a lazy sunday - under cover! Ok, will look into these buffing machines, sounds like something I could do with, for any future work.

Had a feeling the stuff listed above wasn't too bad to do, cool, I'll crack on with the gasket change, thats just annoying!

Cheers chaps

Lee

Yeah, don't listen to them. Most of those things are simple fixes that won't cost much if you have a go yourself.

My sister said she met someone at a petrol station recently driving a silver import the other day (she drives a 06 black 350z) and she lives in southampton. Sounds like it could have been you.

Yeah, don't listen to them. Most of those things are simple fixes that won't cost much if you have a go yourself.

My sister said she met someone at a petrol station recently driving a silver import the other day (she drives a 06 black 350z) and she lives in southampton. Sounds like it could have been you.

It's kinda nice having a report to work against, just its quite long lol.

Hmm not me, unless my sneeky bro decided to hijack my car the other weekend! :D

You could fix all that for less than a grand, £2900 lol.

And dont fall for that b***s*** about the clutch, they told me the exact same then i asked if i could try the clutch on the 350 sat on the used carpark for comparison. Amazingly they didn't have the keys...