Who would you trust to fix your fuel gauge issue?

MDMetal

Hi guys, since Ive had my Z its been plagued by the fuel gauge issue, it used to be only on a 1/2 empty tank but now seems to happen on a full tank, I get the typical dropping to empty then slowly going back up to the right value issue, its not like I cant use the car (just reset the trip counter and keep and eye on it) but its a niggle I want to fix. The real question is who to do the work though....

a) myself

b)local garage

c) useless dealership

(the work in question im guessing is the usual cleaning of the floats)

Im concerned with people removing the subwoofer and not reinstalling it correctly if they dont understand the car, Im tempted to try myself but never having worked with something as serious as a fuel tank before have my doubts. The locla garage sounds reasonably competatnt but Ive a feeling they scratched some trim panels removing them last time I had any work done so not overjoyed. The dealership should be a good bet but being in cambridge I have marshalls who arent well reknowned and have trouble return a phone call let alone doing some work.

What are peoples views? Am I worrying to much and any monkey can do it? Any experiences from people who gave it a shot themselves? The work itself doesnt seem too hard and you can obviously do one float a time.

I just read the guide and it's very well written.

I've been in my fuel tank a couple of times to fit updated fuel pump and fuel return system, it really is quite straight forward. If you can use a spanner and a screwdriver you will be fine.

Top tip. - use as much fuel as you can before hand, if you can get the light on then when you pull the senders out you won't have much to spill.

If your nervous about doing it, your welcome to pop up to mine and I'll keep an eye/ help you do it if you like. Just get yourself a couple of o rings incase you need them. It would have to be a week day and within the next 2 weeks as I'm off work.

I'm in downham market, drop me a pm if you wanna sort anything out.

I've been in my fuel tank a couple of times to fit updated fuel pump and fuel return system, it really is quite straight forward. If you can use a spanner and a screwdriver you will be fine.

Top tip. - use as much fuel as you can before hand, if you can get the light on then when you pull the senders out you won't have much to spill.

If your nervous about doing it, your welcome to pop up to mine and I'll keep an eye/ help you do it if you like. Just get yourself a couple of o rings incase you need them. It would have to be a week day and within the next 2 weeks as I'm off work.

You can't beat an offer like that :clap:

Nice one Sam :#1:

That a very kind offer sir! What I may do is buy the o-rings and have a look at removing the glove box and speaker to see how easy it is and then just go for it, the guide doesnt look too complex so may just give it a shot :) cheers for the offer il see how confident im feeling!

That a very kind offer sir! What I may do is buy the o-rings and have a look at removing the glove box and speaker to see how easy it is and then just go for it, the guide doesnt look too complex so may just give it a shot :) cheers for the offer il see how confident im feeling!

No probs, just give me a shout if I can help. :)

Only if its within the correct LEL ( lower explosion level), otherwise, safe as houses. :thumbs:

I would do it myself, sounds like a sticky float or a bad connection.

Fuel = danger

As SMDNITCL said print it off and try a recommended garage from here

my car seems to have a few "loose conections" the fuel tank switch refused to work consitantly for awhile, after buying a new switch it turned out it was the contact in the conenctor that was iffy so lesson learnt, check all the conenctions before buying expensive items!

Feeling more confident now, get some o-rings, burn some fuel off and go twiddle

zmanalex has o rings in stock, got mine the other day, I'm going to do mine :thumbs:

Please leave some feedback and let me know how it goes!

zmanalex has o rings in stock, got mine the other day, I'm going to do mine :thumbs: