What a difference a Ray makes

NeilMH

Thanks to TyreCity in Coulsdon again, I have now swapped my standard 18†wheels for my newly acquired Rays. Obviously the theory was that with considerably less unsprung weight and sheer momentum, the suspension, dampers, brakes, engine etc all have to do a lot less to achieve their same ends - so that was just a simple fact.

However, as much as that, I was looking for a more nimble feel to the car (of which I had a small clue with the winter 17â€s on). All I can say is :yahoo: Thanks to the normal crew who said it would be so :thumbs:

And yet again, thanks to bkjmr who spotted the Pistonheads advert (£275) and was kind enough to post it on here, even though he didn’t want any himself :#1:

Following the excellent lead of Builder49 I've I'm clicking the old “Donate†button above. This is a great place :clap:

What do they do that makes a difference? Sorry, I know I am an imbecile but if anyone decides to answer my question could you please explain in simple language. It would be much appreciated :blush:

Unsprung weight (the weight of everything that is not supported by the suspension, mainly the wheels and brake assembly) is much more sensitive to small differences that sprung weight. loosing a bit of weight from the body of the car won't make a vast difference, but loosing even half a kilo from each corner will make a very noticable difference. RAYS are just about the lightest wheels you can get for the Zed without spending silly money, so they're a good way to make the car feel more nimble.

DB

I always felt the rays needed spacers fitted to them.

Many people do have them but I don't want compromise the set up, get more scrub or tramlining, so I'm leaving them as they are.

I want to space mine out too but there is a bridge i cross to get to the M4 near me and i literally have an inch each side so with spacers it would be silly hard to get over without curbing :(

I hate to say I told you so but I will anyway :lol:

I believe spacers on a Roadster have a greater effect that on a Coupe so probably wise to avoid them Neil :thumbs:

You must be so pleased with your Zed now, a huge transformation indeed and for it to impress someone like yourself who has a very good driving history then it speaks volumes :clap:

I've always been happy with my standard GT 18's (so much so I even bought another set from 350Ad above - cheers mate :thumbs: after he'd sourced his Rays), but now reading this, I think I want some Rays action too!

However, at the risk of asking another dumbass question and making myself look foolish with the present company, I have another question...

If the major advantage of the Rays (apart from the looks) is the weight saving over other wheels and saving any weight (even small) from the unsprung weight makes dramatic improvements (as discovered above), wouldn't adding 20 and 25mm thick blocks of metal to each corner (i.e. spacers) and the weight in the aditional length wheel bolts etc reduce the advantage of having lighter wheels?

I haven't got spacers (yet :lol: ), so don't know how heavy they actually are, but I can't imagine they're feather weight?

Adding lumps of alloy onto the hubs may sound like its a step in the wrong direction, however you have to take into account that the weight of the spacers is at the centre of the hub, so that's far better than using heavy wheels where the weight is further out along the spokes of the wheel and outer edge of the rim :thumbs:

Yeah, I get it.

I understand the difference between the weight distribution being within something the size of a wheel, or something smaller, such as a spacer, bolted to the centre of the hub.

Cheers guys :thumbs:

I hate to say I told you so but I will anyway :clap:

You did, indeed. Your track record is 100% so far B)

ARBs may be next on the agenda but that is probably next year (budget wise) but after I have looked into it properly.

They look good on the roadster too B) .

I was suprised with the weight difference.

Yes they do. I didn't do it for looks but I do really like the appearance of them now they're on.

Well done Neil. Early bird and all that....lol

I'm going to get a set eventually but when i prob pay £600 odd, i'll always be thinking 'i know someone who got these for £275'! :wave:

Neil I am sorry but....

:worthless:

Sorry barryrob78. I've been looking for a long time. The next best value decent ones were £400 and then £442 but often they can be £500-£600.

SMD - I was asking for that. If it stops raining I'll take some. Would September be ok?