Removing wheel spacers

TomS

So I thought I'd stick the new wheels on this evening after work, jacked the car up, took the wheel off and then realised I needed to take the spacer off for a PCD adaptor I've got for the new wheels.

I didn't realise they'd not be 1/2" or 1/4" so both torque wrenches, breaker bar and extensions that I own couldn't be used! Are they 3/8" on the wheel spacers? And how do you get them off without having the wheel hub spin?

Handbrake was on and the wheel hub was moving. Girlfriend didn't fancy getting into the car whilst it was in the air :lol:

The only wrench I've got is a piddly little thing so it was impossible to move any of the nuts. Need a breaker bar and then I suppose torque wrench for putting them back on as I don't fancy them being lose! Just wondered what they are as 1/4" and 1/2" didn't fit.

I've got 1/2" and 1/4". Neither fit the wheel spacer nuts though. I did have something that fitted but couldn't see size markings on it and due to its size there wasn't enough leverage to get the nuts off.

I've got 1/2" and 1/4". Neither fit the wheel spacer nuts though. I did have something that fitted but couldn't see size markings on it and due to its size there wasn't enough leverage to get the nuts off.

Are you talking about the size of the socket or the drive size of the wrench?

Whatever size socket you need, make sure it's a 1/2" drive socket. 1/4" won't touch it. :thumbs:

I've already got a 1/2" breaker bar. I'm hoping that I do have the correct socket and that I was being a full on numpty.

Need someone to confirm the nut size on spacers though otherwise I need to order some bits this evening.

19mm on these spacers on the front. I have 19mm impact socket but due to it's thickness it won't fit around the nut. Will have to go buy http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165469 tomorrow!

From experience, noting the alloy spacer nuts can be quite soft, I have found it best to use a six sided socket as those impact sockets can too easily round off the edges of a stubborn nut.

Tried to find where I bought mine in 2010 without success but I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction, given it does need to be a slimline and I recall Halfords at the time did not have one.

From experience, noting the alloy spacer nuts can be quite soft, I have found it best to use a six sided socket as those impact sockets can too easily round off the edges of a stubborn nut.

Soft isn't the word, they're made of ****ing jelly. Using a 6 sided 19mm socket has wrecked most of them as they were on that tight, no idea how tight they were put on but it made taking the wheel nuts off childs play. Are they made of steel? I need to buy a new set but want to get something stronger as whatever these ar it might as well be jelly.

i think i have 1 spare 20mm wheel spacer with nuts in the garage, and one dead spacer with nuts.back in the day when i had them on my old zed. I had to have 1 cut off as it had welded itself on.

think i still have them in the garage.

Thanks for the offer, the wheels are all on. Will get some photos up of the nuts post removal.

These are my new favourite thing - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip ... B000QW6K8I. Dig themselves into a nut and make it easier to get out. One of the nuts was on that tight I had to heat it for around 60 seconds, hammer a nut extractor on then wait for it to cool them use a breaker bar to get it off.

Can not believe how much effort it took to get all the wheel spacer nuts off, previous garage must have torqued them far too tight as each one make a big cracking noise when it got free.