crazy insurance quote

bigmike20vt

and for once its good!

:drive1

I need to check details when i am home but.

My renewal came through with Direct Line and was a fairly ok £445 but i checked compare the market with the following details

36 year old

1 claim - but only *just* inside 5 years (july 07)

13 years NCB (no claims protection on above claim)

car kept on drive

only 5000 miles a year however.

and was stunned when it came back with

£236 from Admiral/Elephant.

protected NCB, £350 excess (may play with this a bit) courtesy car etc etc.

not bad for a group 47 car.

(immaculate uk 2005 350Z no mods with 39k on the clock, I valued at 9k, though that may be optimistic)

so long as all is ok with the small print i will be as happy as a pig in pooh

lol in fact the town i live in is considered the "rough" area surrounding Cambridge.

That being said, Cambridge folk dunno the meaning of the word "rough" imo. To most it seems a few teenagers hanging outside a shop and cruising up and down in their cars with a loud stereo counts as rough.

lol in fact the town i live in is considered the "rough" area surrounding Cambridge.

That being said, Cambridge folk dunno the meaning of the word "rough" imo. To most it seems a few teenagers hanging outside a shop and cruising up and down in their cars with a loud stereo counts as rough.

Lol, theres a few "rough" looking areas around Cambridge, like Arbury, Fen Ditton, but your lucky, Cambridgeshire in general seems to be down as "low risk". I work in Cambridge, and if I was to put my works address down, my premium drops by about 60%!

seriously? you pay over 2k on insurance?

wow if my insurance ever went over £600 my car would be for sale.

I know age etc play a big part and i know the value of money is different for everyone but £200 a month JUST on insurance, for me i would be putting that kind of cash into bricks and mortar.

each to their own and all that.

I know age etc play a big part and i know the value of money is different for everyone but £200 a month JUST on insurance, for me i would be putting that kind of cash into bricks and mortar.

+1

over 2k on ins is mental. most i have ever paid was 1200 as a learner on a vauxhall nova 1.2.

Over £600? :lol:

Im 40, have 21 years NCB and years of experience of fast cars & motorbikes. My premium this year came in at nearly a grand on the zed. I live about 40miles from Cambridge. Through haggling and trying different job titles etc... I managed to get mine down to about £700.

My missus`s old shed worth £1500 is costing me £250 3rd party atm.

Makes me wish i didnt live in a quiet cul-de-sac full of old pensioners and lived somewhere else.

wow, that is pretty scarey, becasue whilst clearly Haverhill is deemed a low risk area right now, all it would take is a rejig of the post codes and all of a sudden my insurance could quite conceivably more than double in price.

It is a flawed system. How are you supposed to budget for whether your can afford something when prices can sway so much without warning?.

ok maybe £600 was an exageration, however certainly had my quotes for the car been over £700 before I was looking to buy, I would never have purchased it.

Yeh, unfortunately I don't help myself. I wrote of one car a couple years ago (6 days after buying, whoops) and then the same year I rear ended someone else on an icy day.

I also have my girlfriend who reversed in to someone (not literally though, she doesn't run down old ladies in the carpark; just in to the back of a Tigra, which probably deserved it).

That plus the 3 points I have for doing 35 in a 30 zone and just turning 25 you get raped. But all those will be wiped off come next March and I'll have 3 years no claims so hopefully it will be sub £1k.

just dont get caught speeding again or you will be in the mire insurance wise!

I am at squeeky bum time at the moment. Last Friday (13th) I overtook a lorry on a dual carriageway only to see a policeman pointing his gun at me once i got in front of it.

instinctively I slowed down but I have a feeling I was doing around an indicated 80-85mph. Normally would not have been going that fast but had seconds earlier has some unobservant fool wind me up by boxing me in on the feeder lane onto the dual carrageway despite it being empty so had minor road anger.... But I digress and its no excuse

each day I get home from work expecting the dreaded letter. Fingers crossed I can go on one of those road awareness courses if the worst happens. My licence is clean so maybe.

(+ am hoping I will be in the benefit of the doubt speed bracket anyway)

I am at squeeky bum time at the moment. Last Friday (13th) I overtook a lorry on a dual carriageway only to see a policeman pointing his gun at me once i got in front of it.

If he just had a gun and no camera then you shouldn't need to worry. You know when you've been caught, the bulbs they use to take the pictures are very bright and noticeable, even in daylight.

Plus 80 on the speedo is about 76 in reality. The allowance differs in every county too, so some places you can only get away with 5% over the limit. Others you can get away with 10%; in which case you can do 77mph without being done.

Hope this helps calm your nerves :)

just dont get caught speeding again or you will be in the mire insurance wise!

instinctively I slowed down but I have a feeling I was doing around an indicated 80-85mph.

I too had a clean license, but had exactly the same thing as above happen to me a few years back. I was cruising at 70mph on a dual carriage way. Pulled out to overtake 2 lorries. There was a long queue of cars behind me tailgating me, desperate to get past me, so I accelerated as I overtook the lorries. Get past and see copper with radar gun parked up on the chevrons on a slip road. Turned out I was doing 81 in a 70 and I got 3 points and fine through the post and my car insurance went up by 30% as a result.

Annoyingly, my missus got caught the same week doing 40 in a 30 (which personally i regard as more dangerous than 81 in a 70) and the police offered her the "awareness course" and no points. I wrote to Cambridgeshire police, but unfortunately they "do not offer the awareness course for your offence".

I really dont understand Cambridgeshire police. The only other 2 dealings ive had with them was when I was stationary on the road, behind a parked car, waiting for an oncoming car to pass so I could continue my journey, and a lad piled into the back of my car at 60mph (in a 30mph zone). He was braking so hard, the bonnet of his car went under my back bumper. So god knows what speed he was doing initially. My car was written off. The drivers seat was ripped out of the floor mountings due to the force of me being thrown back as a result of the impact. What did the police do about it? Nothing. They turned up and breathalysed everyone etc. Then a few weeks later I get a letter saying they were not going to prosecute the other driver as "not enough evidence" WTF?!

And the other incident was when my brother was rammed off the road by another car - he ended upside down in one of the big drains we have in the fens, and the other driver didnt stop. The other driver then must have felt guilty, so he came back after 30mins and confessed to the police. What did the police do? No points, no fine, but sent him on the awareness course! Just seems no consistency with them.

yep, paying all in 1 go. have to wait till tomorrow (payday) to dodge the credit card charge.

it has actually gone up to £263 now but that is with a £150 quid excess as opposed to £350.

1 quick question. What are admiral generally like with things like mild mods (its possible my exhaust is blowing a bit this morning)

last time i looked, Direct line - my current insurers - wanted £200 extra just for me getting a stainless exhaust system.

finally, are admiral 3 point friendly? my licence is currently clean but you never know!.

cheers

M.

• 2 weeks later...

Insurance quotes really do confuse me. I just done get how there can be so much difference.

Well I am all paid up now.

£450 all in for 12 months insurance on my 350Z AND the wifes 1.2 punto.

150 excess on the Zed

£110 excess on the punto.

1 quick question. What are admiral generally like with things like mild mods (its possible my exhaust is blowing a bit this morning)

last time i looked, Direct line - my current insurers - wanted £200 extra just for me getting a stainless exhaust system.

When I replaced my rotting exhause with a stainless one Admiral only wanted an extra premium if I wanted cover for the new exhaust rather than the standard one. For a non turbo car the change in performance is next to nothing without additional mods