Snapped brake nipple!

John tarantula

working on the car today and replacing the nipples and bleeding the brakes (Brembo) .... all fine with a little persuasion until the last one which due to my super human strength decided to part ways with the other half of itself :bang::bang::bang: thankfully not low enough down to leak!!!

really don't want to replace the caliper because of one broken nipple so any bright ideas / useful tools to remove the broken part?? Please!

:thumbs:

:thumbs: one for the list. WIll probably take the whole caliper off to get to grips with it properly and avoid any crap getting into the system. Dblock, will let you know but Easyout (plus a little heat) is the first option! 7 out of 8 nipples were fine though so you may be OK! replaced them all anyway so new ones in now.

Michael,

The best advice that I can give you is to take the caliper to a machine shop for professional removal of the broken bleeder as this is the best chance that you have of saving the caliper mate. :thumbs:

In the event that they fail then I have plenty preowned calipers in stock good to go same/next day. :thumbs:

Alex :)

2 bits of wood and a G clamp.....

Ok cheers alex, probably the safest option! Found a place online that does postal service for £30 so not too bad (cheaper than caliper!) any ideas of what to use to block off hose once caliper off?

I dont have a broken bleed nip but incase it happens to me which it probably will I would like to know how to deal with it.

Helicoil it maybe?

The trick is not to break it. ;) I had a few seized nipples the other week. I found heat was the only option.

Get your self a small butane/propane blow torch heat the nipple till it cherry red and slowly work it back and forth. you may need to give it a few heat cycles. Just take your time and they will come out eventually. And use plenty of penetrating fluid.

• 2 weeks later...

I snapped one today so its off the the machine shop in the morning. The motor factors only stocks two nipples. 10mm and 8mm or something. The brembos are 10mm correct??

Mark,

I have plenty new bleed nipples in stock good to go same/next day if required.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember the size mate, however the pitch is also equally important.

I snapped one today so its off the the machine shop in the morning. The motor factors only stocks two nipples. 10mm and 8mm or something. The brembos are 10mm correct??

Mark,

I have plenty new bleed nipples in stock good to go same/next day if required.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember the size mate, however the pitch is also equally important.

Alex,

The weather has been terrible lately and today and tomorrow are the only good weather this week so I dont have time to wait for a nipple yet. There is a motor factors that has them in stock so I am going to whip the caliper off and head over to check. Also getting the old one drilled/taken out professionally so hopefully everything goes to plan. If not I will let you know. After reading about seized nipples I decided to have a check today while I wait for the lines and fluid to arrive. It all started off well until I hit this one. Would not budge at all and ended up snapping pretty easily. Glad I tried this before changing the hoses first. Would be right up @*!# creek then.

Cheers