Harsher after 5000rpm

Mrdeli

Hi there,

I tend to pretty much change up at around 4000rpm, even when I'm pushing on. The odd time I've revved out to around 6000rpm I've noticed that the engine gets a little harsh sounding - defo nothing to worry me about, but I was just interested to hear whether this is the character of the engine or are there any tips to improve this?

My car is running 10w40 oil - is a different oil likely to make any difference?

My car is 2005 with 79k.

As I say it's not a big concern, but sometimes I compare it to my brothers 135i which is sliky smooth at all revs.

Thanks mark.

Hmm may just be the sound of your car. Mines gets its balls booted and always seems smooth.

Is it possible to take a video inside the car while driving to allow people to hear the engine?

I think its a case of what your used to, i find mine a little harsh after 5,000 RPM, especially in comparison with my old Supra, but i am pretty sure thats the nature of the VQ35DE, seen it commented on so may times, apparently the HR is way smoother.

Yes on looking round it seems most pre 2006 are the same

Better get used to

It I guess!!

Not exactly sure I understand what you mean by "harsh".

I just had my OEM exhaust fixed as I bought it with the flange to the back box broken and didn't know :doh:

It used to sound great, now it sounds like a normal commuter, until I hit the 5000+ marker and I get 10% of that V6 growl back again.

By harsh I mean it feels like it would rather I changed up earlier rather than chasing the red line.

It seems this was ironed out in the rev up facelift from what I read.

Just thought I'd check there wasn't an easy 'fix'

By harsh I mean it feels like it would rather I changed up earlier rather than chasing the red line.

It seems this was ironed out in the rev up facelift from what I read.

Just thought I'd check there wasn't an easy 'fix'

Ah that may be why mines feels smoother. I have a 2006 revup car :doh:

I know what you mean. mine is the same. not awful just not what I would expect from a modern six cylinder engine.

The pre-2006 DE engine dates back to 1994 and was never intended for high-revving sports cars... Torque drops like a stone above 5.5k rpm. Later engines are better but they can't hide the original design/purpose.

I know what you mean. mine is the same. not awful just not what I would expect from a modern six cylinder engine.

The pre-2006 DE engine dates back to 1994 and was never intended for high-revving sports cars... Torque drops like a stone above 5.5k rpm. Later engines are better but they can't hide the original design/purpose.

Actually the VQ35DE only dates back to 2000, but the basic design is carried on from the VQ20DE from 1994, but there are quite a few refinements, however thats no excuse, but your right most V motors are not designed for high RPM.