Viewing a car - history query

350Chris

This is a bit of a silly question - but if I put it out here you will either confirm of alter my thoughts.

I am viewing a 54 GT this evening which has c 45k on the clocks. The owner had a P1 last March but having only done 4k since then has not adhered to an annual service interval and instead seems to service it by milage. I will look over the rest of the history when I see the car - but what are peoples opinions on servicing by milage rather than yearly (I appreciate that the suggested interval is age OR milage)

By my reckoning it should be due a P3 @ 8 years, and that being the case, certainly is not reflected in the price.

As you state by mileage or years what ever comes first. Personally I do mine yearly in this situation, you will have to make an assessment of the seller and the car but I wouldn't let it put me off, if the car and the seller are genuine.

If the owner had a P1 last March then it would be due either a P2 or P3 (actually they are the same), around 9k or 1 year later. If the owners only done 4k miles then thats very low miles, and the car only has 45k on the clock which is again quite low.

Normally you`d typically be expecting the 8 year P3 service to be done at 72k miles.

You could use it as a bargaining chip if you want, point out to the seller that the service book suggests it needs a P3 service around now, which would cost you money. The P3 is a "major" service, but very easily done yourself if you have a few spanners and certainly wouldnt cost much.

I personally wouldnt let it worry me. As long as the rest of the service matches up nicely.

When I bought my car, i had a similar problem because whilst it was 4 years old, it had only done 20k miles. Because I bought from a main dealer, they did a P3 service on it as a matter of course, even though it didnt really need it.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. When i bought my 05 GT4 in November, it had only done 25K miles. Service history was not every year but rather on milage, having only had about 4 services. The place i bought it from did service it before i picked it up but it runs sweet as a nut with no issues.

Just because it's only part history doesn't mean it hasn't been looked after. The owner may have performed multiple services his/herself whilst only taking the car in for service when it reached the milage milestones.

That raises another interesting point.

Having built my last car, I am fairly hand with spanners. I have no intention of selling my project (in one piece at least) and so the lack of garage service history was never going to be an issue.

I am not sure I would be so happy to drop the garage history when I get my 350 as it could put off potential buyers in the future.

Wouldn't be concerned as others have mentioned, so long as up until now it has decent history. P3 will cost upwards of £250, so knock that off your offer. Talk to the seller, ask if he has done his own servicing as well, if he says no, then you know the complete history, if he says yes, then there's a chance there has been a few extra oil changes.

I know what you mean about keeping the stamps in the book, I'm in the same boat. I actually know one of the mechanics in my local Nissan dealer, who will happily service it on the cheap outside of work, but obviously no stamp.

What's the thoughts on having him sign it anyway instead of a stamp?

Having built my last car, I am fairly hand with spanners. I have no intention of selling my project (in one piece at least) and so the lack of garage service history was never going to be an issue.

I am not sure I would be so happy to drop the garage history when I get my 350 as it could put off potential buyers in the future.

To be honest, it boils down to what the potential buyer`s attitude is. Myself, as mechanic who services all his own cars, family cars and friends cars, I would personally not be put off by a seller who has serviced his car himself, as long as its clear he knows what he is talking about. Personally in that case id actually see it as a bonus and a positive thing over a seller who simply entrusted the YTS lad at the local garage to change his oil & give his car a good thrashing in the process. Someone who has serviced their car themselves knows exactly what oil & parts have gone on it, and know its been done correctly.

But, your right, some buyers insist on a FSH and anything other than that they see as a negative.

To be honest, it boils down to what the potential buyer`s attitude is. Myself, as mechanic who services all his own cars, family cars and friends cars, I would personally not be put off by a seller who has serviced his car himself, as long as its clear he knows what he is talking about. Personally in that case id actually see it as a bonus and a positive thing over a seller who simply entrusted the YTS lad at the local garage to change his oil & give his car a good thrashing in the process. Someone who has serviced their car themselves knows exactly what oil & parts have gone on it, and know its been done correctly.

But, your right, some buyers insist on a FSH and anything other than that they see as a negative.

Good advice and I share your opinion bunny :thumbs: