Problematic exhaust..

mat290490

Hi all,

I recently bought a 06 350z and whilst having the wheels refurbished by a friend of mine (obviously the last owner like to crunch curbs) ive found that the exhaust back box is no longer connected!

Now seeing as i bought the car 3 months ago i rang the garage where i bought it from, they instructed me that the company with which warranty was issued with does not cover exhaust systems due to it being classified as a "wear and tear" issue - however aren't all parts of a car subject to wear and tear? hmm

I then rang the warranty company directly to ask a few questions to which i was passed from pillar to post until the inevitable happened... 5 o clock cut off, they simply wouldn't deal with me any longer as the claims department had gone home and i was told i would have to speak to someone tomorrow.

My question is this - where do i stand right now? do i have a leg to stand on with either company as its under warranty or am i just going to have to bite the bullet and pay for the new back box

Cheers in advance

Mat

Have you looked at the warranty agreement and what's covered ?

It's surprising how little is covered on warranties and usually if it's something big like an engine blown then you only get up to a grand towards it.

I would look into your policy more thoroughly and if you do have to bite the bullet then buy a shiny new aftermarket one from Tarmac Sportz

http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/350z-exhaust-systems.aspx

Standard aftermarket warranty doesnt cover a lot of parts or stuff thats rusted or worn you tend to find. On top of that they often wont pay for investigation work that does not find the cause of the problem.

It does give you peace of mind though that if something serious goes wrong youll be ok.

Unfortunately with my 350z i learnt that the warranty wasnt worth the paper it was written on. Everything i had a problem with was excluded.

However the garage i bought it from were fantastic and fixed everything at their own cost as a gesture of goodwill. As a result members here now go to them for services etc. what goes around comes around. Wish more garages had the same attitude.

cheers for the replies guys

yeh the exhaust fitted is the standard one and its sheared at the initial collar, its also looking like the other collar its connected to is rusted through as well so im hoping its not going to be too much to repair.

I'll chase up the garage first and see what they'll do for me, if not ill be buying a new back box and fitting it pretty pronto.

Mat

The OEM ones often go where the back box joins on to the mid-pipe and it affects the flanges on both parts. If you are tight for cash a repair is possible by cutting off the affected bits/ends and welding a sleeve over - effectively making the two rear bits into one. It needs to be done in situ to get the right alignment. If you are lucky such a repair might last a couple of years - but the writing is on the wall really - there are some good aftermarket exhausts around.

Exhausts are generally not covered by warranties. Good luck.

hey CS do ur exhausts come with the flange connections?

and KyleR ill put a pic up of mine... theres like a 2cm gap between the two connections, its completely kncakered :thumbdown:

How can u get that repaired just out of curiosity? It looks exactly the same

and KyleR ill put a pic up of mine... theres like a 2cm gap between the two connections, its completely kncakered :thumbdown:

Mat, the Nissan system comes with the flange connections, all the systems we have listed come with new mid pipes too, so they are Y Pipe back systems apart from the ones we have listed as Cat Back, as these also come with the Y Pipe too... :thumbs:

Hey CS

If i do order something is there anyway i could get a next day delivery or something as im only home for a bit on leave from the Navy?

Ive not decided yet if im just going to repair/replace the standard and save for a whole new after market system as im pretty skint at the minute

cheers

Hey CS

If i do order something is there anyway i could get a next day delivery or something as im only home for a bit on leave from the Navy?

Ive not decided yet if im just going to repair/replace the standard and save for a whole new after market system as im pretty skint at the minute

cheers

Mat, it depends which system you're after... :thumbs:

I'll probably go for the scorpion as its best bang for your buck at this present time, does it not matter if i change the Y pipe as well or is standard fine? Sorry if its a noob question but ive never worked on cars :D

cheers

Mat

Good choice, the Scorpion marrys up perfectly with the Nissan Y Pipe, so you'll be fine... :thumbs:

They'll just chop off the flanges and weld the 2 pipes together, if the gap is too big they'd just wrap them both together and weld. Some people prefer not to do that because they cant just add a back box in the future, but more than likely both flanges are fooked so you'd need a midpipe too anyway, which comes with most aftermarket exhaust for 350z.

They welded the extension to the back box piping and clamped it onto the mid pipe incase in the future i'd like to swap out the back box for something a little less wimpy.

It doesn't look pretty, but unless I happen to reverse over someone, no one will see it. It's a really strong looking weld so it should hold up for as long as it takes me to save up and beg the insurance company not to destroy me for changing the zorst.