Passenger door opening itself

docwra

Well, not quite but ............. :D

Noticed it about 3/4 months ago, the interior light would flash on when going round right handers. Figured out it was the door opening slightly, didnt worry about it too much as it went away. Unfortunately it then came back and now you can hear a very slight click, then interior light and door open light on dash come on - usually does it on right handers but can do it on bumpy roads at speed as well, it can either be "open" for 10/15 seconds or it goes from open to closed quickly. Pulling the door inwards while driving fixes it, sometimes for a few days, sometimes for only 5 minutes.

Im not concerned as the car has done two hard trackdays at Donington and Bedford without the door physically opening, and if I sit inside I cant push it open or anything but the lights are annoying and the seal with the outside world is lost so theres a little bit of additional wind noise when its "open". Anyone any ideas on how to sort it?

If the door is not actually opening on the latch, is it just that the switch is wrongly adjusted/worn? Could you do like the 'bootlid penny trick' and stick a disk of something onto the door where it contacts the switch?

Of course if the door latch is faulty/worn, it really should be replaced for safety's sake.

Edit - sorry, I've now re-read the last bit of your original post and it does sound like the latch may be at fault if you can hear additional wind noise.

Is the window sealing properly? Its not pushing the door slightly ajar is it?

Pretty sure it is man, theres no additional wind noise generally speaking, its only when going right/over bumps.

Dave - that was my first thought, that it was just the switch but the increased wind noise when its "open" suggest there is something moving, albeit only a tiny amount. If I cant push the door open from the inside Im not too worried TBH, its just frustrating :)

I suggest putting a can of beer in the drink holder. If the beer is lifted out just after the lights come on and the level drops, then you know it's a poltergeist and not your car.

Do you have a number for Ghostbusters? Always banging on with that slogan about WHO to call, never actually tell you HOW to call ........... :shrug: