Strut Brace...........Removing Scratches

SteveRS

Hi Chaps,

I had a spare couple of hours this afternoon so I decided to get on with removing some scratches from an ex display Summit brace I got from a supplier, with plans to put this one in my own Zed. :thumbs:

So from start to finish:

Scratches on the brace. Not overly deep but you could get your nail in them.

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Now to start sanding. I used Halfords wet and dry 2500 grit (fine) paper

photo23-1.jpg

photo4.jpg

You can see that the scratches have now been removed, but the surface has been left quite dull.........

photo42.jpg

photo52.jpg

photo32.jpg

photo12.jpg

Now to start polishing. I chose to use Autosol for this. :thumbs:

photo13-1.jpg

photo43.jpg

photo33.jpg

After polishing the brace a few times and buffing it up, here is the end result B)

photo24.jpg

photo34.jpg

photo44.jpg

photo54.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo25.jpg

photo35.jpg

I even did the underneath ;)

photo15.jpg

Now just to decide whether to spray the ends red to match the zed. :p

That looks great Steve, can I ask if you were left with any swirl type marks? I spent an hour polishing mine this morning but can't get the swirl marks out of it, they're only visible in sunlight but still irritates me :blush:

Be different go Red!

Yeah some slight swirling in the sunlight, I agree its very irritating, something I will look at fixing though............

I recognize that garage Steve :D Definitely paint the ends red and you can start a theme under the bonnett.

The only other Zed owner to visit my garage. :thumbs: It definitely needs a theme under the bonnet, not many colours that go with red though......so might just have to be red :p

but can't get the swirl marks out of it, they're only visible in sunlight but still irritates me :blush:

The only way I got rid of them on a Summit Brace, was, ......get ready to laugh...... By using synthetic hamster bedding and Megs all metal polish. Microfibre cloths just scratched it. :shrug: Maybe soft yellow dusters would work !!

PLEASE NOTE.......... No hamsters were harmed. :lol:

but can't get the swirl marks out of it, they're only visible in sunlight but still irritates me :blush:

The only way I got rid of them on a Summit Brace, was, ......get ready to laugh...... By using synthetic hamster bedding and Megs all metal polish. Microfibre cloths just scratched it. :shrug: Maybe soft yellow dusters would work !!

:clap::clap::clap: I AM going to try that :lol:

Seroiously......... I know its April the 1st but come on! :p What made you even try that?

Seroiously......... I know its April the 1st but come on! :p What made you even try that?

I noticed it was very soft and the microfiber scratched it. :shrug::shrug:

Other members will confirm I can be odd and I am very tight. :blush::lol::lol: