Spark plugs and ECU reset query

Mrdeli

Thinking about changing the plugs as I think my car will be on the originals (05 & 79k).

Running great, so wondering if there's much to be gained? The iridium plugs seem to get a good write up and I was wondering if anyone here was using them and whether they actually provide any better response in the real world.

Also I have read about resetting the ecu, throttle opening etc... Is this worth doing or is it just if you are experiencing problems.

Many thanks and great forum ;). Mark

I changed mine and they where a little black and used. Your car will run slightly better plus you have piece of mind. Irirdiums arent going to give you a better spark just a longer life. Next time I change my plugs Im going to go for something cheaper as I will change them more often. Iridiums says they last 100k but Id still change them half that amount of miles.

The US service schedule says they last 100k miles but the UK says 5yr/54k.

I did mine last week (04 with only 45k) and the tips were brittle, I could snap them off with a fingernail. Worth doing although it's a fiddly 2-3 hour job.

The Iridium plugs don't last as long as the OEM platinum plugs. Denso recommend changing the Iridiums every 30k miles (http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php - Question 4). Platinum plugs are designed to last the full 54k, but are a little more expensive.

http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php ... s_id=25418 - in stock (we also have the 350 and 370 HR plugs in stock)

Despite what is written above, and drawing on my own experiences and after in depth consultatuion with Denso, I have found that the Denso Iridium 0.4mm plug lasts as long as the 0.7mm plug and have experienced no issues or failures within 54,000 miles on either plug on the hundreds of sets that I have sold or fitted.

I would replace any Denso Iridium plug for free that fails within that period without question on any N/A engine.

Alex :)

Denso iridiums were recommended to me over platinum by the guys at advance motorsport engineering also. He was ready to replace them when I advised I already had a set fitted.

Absolute bargain price from Alex :thumbs:

The Iridium plugs don't last as long as the OEM platinum plugs. Denso recommend changing the Iridiums every 30k miles (http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php - Question 4). Platinum plugs are designed to last the full 54k, but are a little more expensive.

http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php ... s_id=25418 - in stock (we also have the 350 and 370 HR plugs in stock)

A nice plug debate LOL! that doesn't make sense Jez, as pardon me if I'm wrong, but where not iridium plugs developed to be a long service life plug, in keeping with modern engine design, to take over from platinum, which in turn took over from copper core.

I'm just repeating what the manufacturer recommends.

I've had loads of experience with plugs on turbo engines - the Densos are more fragile than NGK, for example.

I'm pretty sure that on an NA car where the spark plug requirements aren't as demanding the Denso's would be ok over their recommeded 30k miles. But on a car that's used on the road most of the time I'd go with the OEM platinum plugs.

I certainly wouldn't dispute that the Denso iridiums are too fragile for turbo application's, just curious about Denso recommending 30k change when Nissan who fit them say 60k, personally i just use copper core and change them every 6 to 8k, although platinum and iridium are designed to last a lot longer, i am still inclined to agree with the theory/belief that plugs build up and internal resistance over time, and so start to limit spark efficiency and power.

Nissan specify an NGK platinum plug for the DE engine. They specify a long life Denso for the HR engines.

I'd be inclined to change plugs more frequently than the 54k Nissan recommend anyway - just from a corrosion point of view. The last thing you want is the plugs to get stuck in the head or damage the head on the way out.

Just been reading a thread and came across the stuff below. Has anyone fitted the iridium plugs and if so what are the experiences? Is it safer to stick with platinums? Thanks.

'I work for an aftermarket auto parts retailer, sold some Iridium plugs to a really good mechanic to change on a 350Z, much like mine. After the swap, complaints about burning up coils. Local Nissan dealership said no to the Iridium, and stick to the Platinum. Mentioned about not enough resistance in the Iridium set. I'm going for the platinum myself. Good luck, 85k miles on original plugs.

Edwin'

Just been reading a thread and came across the stuff below. Has anyone fitted the iridium plugs and if so what are the experiences? Is it safer to stick with platinums? Thanks.

'I work for an aftermarket auto parts retailer, sold some Iridium plugs to a really good mechanic to change on a 350Z, much like mine. After the swap, complaints about burning up coils. Local Nissan dealership said no to the Iridium, and stick to the Platinum. Mentioned about not enough resistance in the Iridium set. I'm going for the platinum myself. Good luck, 85k miles on original plugs.

Edwin'

LOL! there will always be story's knocking about like this,there is no practical difference between plugs other than the precious metal thats used for the electrode, i have measured the resistance of different plugs, and even different brands of the same type/grade plugs don't share the same resistance, let alone platinum v iridium,

IMO thats a justification for failed coil packs!